1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange Linn Karik display behaviour

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by chedmaster, Jul 9, 2005.

1. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Just been sorting out my Dad's stereo system, he has a Linn Karik/LK180/280/Keilidh system, and recently the display has been playing up on the Karik.

It comes on fine, plays fine, and the display reads Track 1 Index 1 etc. Then you skip tracks etc, for example Track 5 Index 1 (never use Index thing) and after about 10-25 seconds, the display cuts to - - . Sound keeps playing fine, and sometimes it automatically goes back to proper display, and always if you press a button, but the timing seems random. :confused:

Anyone have experience with them and can help?

On another note, man am I jealous of his system!!! :rotfl:

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Same as on the CD12. The display can be set to either display timing or the 2 slightly evil looking slits. Usually display stays up for 20 seconds and then reverts to the slits.
    Can be set manually on the CD12 not sure about the Karik but it is normal....

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    theres a button on the back that says "display" i assumed it turned it off but it doesnt, maybe thats it. it never used to do it. thanks for your reply

4. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thinking some years ago was that strobed LED displays had a detrimental effect upon the sound, caused by the fast edge speeds of digital signals breaking through to the audio path. A classic EMC problem. So there was a move in high end audio circles, such as Linn, towards having the ability to switch the display off. This could be either manual or automatic depending upon the design of the digital circuits.

So be not afraid, this sounds completely normal for a Karik (mine does the same thing - currently playing very nicely, thank you,and showing "--").

on the other hand you are right to be jealous of your Dad's system...on the lines of "cower down before my Linn Karik/Numerik/Kudos/Kairn/Aktiv-Dirak-Bingo/LK280*3/PMS Isobariks, ye Mortals!" :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    lol i keep telling him to get a numerik!

6. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the Karik is a fine player in its own right, the Numerik makes it better; I've played around with both Karik-on-its-own & Karik-Numerik in my system, and also with and without the clock synchronisation cable between the K & the N. each time I've added more bits in (i.e. Karik, Karik + Numerik, Karik + Numerik + sync cable) there has been change (and, I like to think, an improvement in sound quality).

However......tell him to go aktiv.....

then you'll really hear something!

7. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Have a heart Suzywong, 2 weeks ago I returned home to find my CD12, Klimax Kontrol, Klimax Twins, Akurate 242's and several other Amps and cables had been stolen.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    And i'm still waiting for the loss adjusters answer....:suicide:

8. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sorry to hear that Knightshade, you must be gutted! Especially as you can't buy a new CD12 anymore...

Hope you get a sensible answer from your loss adjusters, and then the fun of testing out some new kit. Artikulats and Chakra amps all round, anyone?