1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange JVC AV WFT1-EP, please help.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by warryor, Nov 28, 2001.

1. warryor

warryor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I purchased this TV yesterday (on recommendations from this site), but I have a couple of problems, I don't think that my set is working allright:

1. No picture settings work on RGB sources, this might be by design!??
    2. S-video is black&white, regardless if the signal is PAL or NTSC (but the manual states that the TV is supposed to be able to handle both NTSC variants, even)

3. If I connect an external amplifier on the TV, there is something picked up from somewhere (sounded like a radio station). Also, when I'm watching a channel from the cable network, muting hardly lowers the volume, unless I unplug the audio cable (doesn't matter if it's actually connected to the amplifier or not).

This possibly can't be normal, did I misunderstand the TV specification or could it actually be defect?

2. warryor

warryor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now, the sound issue I can live with, I think I will almost never watch cable programmes with sound (unless I get digital TV, in which case I hope the decoder has separate audio out), but there is one more, slightly anoying thing: I have a 2-3cm green blotch in the upper left corner, only visible when I connect the DVD though.... well, I assume this is something unique to my set, anyway.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    Hi

With regards to the S-VHS signal, have you enabled the tv to pick it up?

You´ll need to go into the External Settings menu and tell it to pick up the signal. You can enable S-VHS on AV2 & AV3 but not on AV1 thats set for RGB & Composite. AV4 (if you have it) should be the S-VHS socket on the front panel.

I dont think you can adjust the settings of RGB unless its a 100hz tv, i´m not sure on this though!

Cant help you on the other queries i´m afraid!!

cheers

4. warryor

warryor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YES!!!!
    That's it!

I never had a set before that neede composite/S-Video toggled....
    Didn't read that part of the manual, either. (Should have RTFM:ed)

The other problems I can live with (i.e. RGB not really useable for DVD, since I can't change the picture settings for this mode).

Thanks for the help, matey!!!!!

/Warrior signing off......

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Hi Warryor,

I seem to recall that I was probably one of the people who recommended this set to you.

I have had two sets and both have had interference using the set's internal speakers so now I don't use them at all.

I have also found that connecting the TV's audio outputs to the amplifier produces a real mess of sound so I have also disconnected that and only use direct inputs to the amplifier.

Apart from those two minor irritants I am very happy with the set and hope you will be with yours.

Ian

PS if you need an urgent reply in future don't post so late at night as I am busy watching it then and not logged onto the forum !!

6. warryor

warryor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Ian
    (and other forum readers),

Please let me explain, my urgency stemmed from the fact that I am really tired of dragging these sets back and forth from the dealer.... Most stores the sell more "expensive" goods have an agreement (don't know it this enforced by the business or by law) that allow you to try a product for 30 days from purchase, and if you don't like it, for any reason whatsoever, you can can cancel the purchase and get your money back. This is fine, but this hasn't helped me much in getting my money's worth.

Apart from freely being able to exchange the sets a large number of times (with transportation at my expense) I cannot get additional service, for example in the form of a technician coming out to adjust a set (there seems to be no such thing, unless it's really high-end I assume, here in Sweden). At the most I can get an insurance where I don't have to transport the stuff myself, but I have no idea what they consider to be a fault with the set and what not. Judging from the service in the stores the level has to be a lot higher to be worth the money (10-15% extra on the price). I don't want to find out how troublesome it could get if there is a disagreement (it might be good, haven't tried it).

But the no.1 issue with trying these TV sets out is not money, it's time. A lot of hours have gone to waste testing and transporting sets. And I am dead tired of this. (It's so frustrating.)

But I might have found a real diamond with the JVC (or rather, zirconium *lol*)... It's seems to do the job, actually....... And at the price point I expect. (*ugh* felt godo to have that off my chest..... =) )

Cheers!