Question Strange & infuriating audio control problem on Dell XPS 9300

dts197

Distinguished Member
I know people don't frequent this section much, but I'm hoping someone might have an idea with this strange issue. I will say that I've already spent hours trying all kinds of problem shooting with Dell (it's a new XPS 9300), Googling, installing drivers and even a clean install of Windows without luck.

Basically, changing the volume via the keyboard buttons (the slider does move on screen though), slider on the taskbar or in the settings has no impact on volume, aside from mute/unmute with the laptop speakers. I can change the volume via the slider on an individual music player or by the volume control on a website (YouTube for example).

It started when I had new parts fitted on Tuesday and eventually got it to work by resetting all settings. But on Wednesday I had a new palm rest fitted and the issue came back. But as it stands, I have much less control over the sound through the speakers and can't use my mouse to control them which is set up to with the thumb wheel.

I don't have this issue when using headphones and I'm having new speakers fitted by Dell when the parts are in stock. But it just seems really strange and more like a Windows issue as the speakers do work.

Not holding out much hope and well done if you read all this! Also wasn't sure if to post here or in the software section.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The volume controls in applications don't adjust the system volume but use a narrower intensity range within the same volume setting. That allows different applications to output simultaneously at different volumes.

The system volume setting works differently and changes the overall volume setting.

Looking at the image of the internals here it appears as if the speakers may be the copper things on the side and if so they have two cables going into them. They consist of at least five wires so there's probably more going on in there than just a vibrating cone and if one of the wires has become loose I'm not sure what the effect would be.

dts197

Distinguished Member
The volume controls in applications don't adjust the system volume but use a narrower intensity range within the same volume setting. That allows different applications to output simultaneously at different volumes.

The system volume setting works differently and changes the overall volume setting.

Looking at the image of the internals here it appears as if the speakers may be the copper things on the side and if so they have two cables going into them. They consist of at least five wires so there's probably more going on in there than just a vibrating cone and if one of the wires has become loose I'm not sure what the effect would be.
Seeing as this problem didn't start until after an engineer fitted new parts (motherboard, battery, heat sink, fan & palm rest on the first visit), going by what you said it's likely he's not assembled it properly?

He did forget to connect the led on the palm rest on his first visit, meaning the charge light didn't work. And left a screw out......

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom