1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange infra red problem

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by BritishBeef, Jan 5, 2005.

1. BritishBeef

BritishBeef
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there!
    I have a Pace 2600 Digibox and have had no problems for the 2 years I have had it. Now however the infra red pickup on the digibox seems to be playing up.

When I scroll through channels on the remote for example, it takes multiple presses of the button to register on the digibox and change the channel. It's the same for all buttons/actions. Also every now and then a different action is carried out by the digibox to the action performed on the remote. Eg. I could press the TV Guide button and it would action Interactive on the Digibox??!!

The red light on the Digibox which lights to show the infra red signal being picked up only lights intermittently whilst repeated button presses (as if only a few button presses are being picked up).

I've changed batteries and switched off the digibox etc. but the problem persists.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be??

Thanks in advance.

Geoff.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sounds like a defective remote or box, could be either. Try your remote on a neighbours box, or their remote on yours, to try to find which one it is. Note that Sky+ remotes won't work on an ordinary Sky box.

3. BritishBeef

BritishBeef
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks!
    I've tried another remote as I use the Kameleon normally and when it started to play up I used the original remote to see if it was the Kameleon causing the problem but alas, no.

Geoff.

4. oliver24

oliver24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about dust on sensor in Digibox?

As these have case fans it could be full of crap inside

5. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    :rotfl: Boll*cks :rotfl:

Geoff,

Can't be sure which is to blame until you've tried a new remote.

Cheers,

A. Dork

6. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My digibox has been playing up too, thought it was something to do with the plasma which we have just got. It says in the instructions it emits infrared rays which may affect infrared things.

I tried batteries too, but I can see the light is working on the remote okay. It works okay in a certain position but it is finding that position which is hard.

7. damianpadden

damianpadden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I thought I would picth in aswell, I am also having the same problem, I too have a plasma about 1 month old and sky plus controls playing up. My box is is a cabinet below the plasma. I use a phillips pronto and it works find with everything else but sometimes i have to move around the room until the sky box sees the signal it is being sent, this is the same with the sky control that i got when sky+ was installed. AHHHHHHHHH

8. BritishBeef

BritishBeef
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I seem to have fixed the problem! I also use a Philips Video sender to send the signal to another room. I removed the little IR dongle which you fit near the IR pickup on the Digibox which sends remote comands from another room and everything is now fine. Strange as it's worked flawlessly for over a year. Seems that the Philips gear was interferring or something??!

Geoff.

9. boozydoo

boozydoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have a similar issue. Below my plasma is a QED Roomlink wall plate, which send commands to my equipment in another room. Sky + has always been a pain to operate. I have to point the remote all over the room until the box reads the signal. Other equipment works fine. I recently improved the situation by moving the equipment in the cabinet further from the emitters, and adding another flood emitter. It's better, but not perfect. Strange.

10. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Following the suggestions here, I moved the dongle things and have not had a problem with Sky since, thanks.

11. AndySee

AndySee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i had exactly same problem with Amstrad box and video sender. moved the ir emitters and everything fine. now will need to run coax into the bedroom though!
    nearly had Sky out for a fault on a new box - I let them know how I solved it and they said it was a new one on them.

12. GoochyB

GoochyB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have an even more bizarre IR problem. I'm using the PhilipsVL1400 (4 inputs) video sender, with VCR, DVD, DTT & DSat boxes as inputs. Remote works fine for the DTT box, but for the VCR it is very temperamental, usually only working if the remote is held right up to the window of the receiver unit.

The really bizarre thing is this though - when the sender is on, the VCR does not respond to the remote directly, i.e. even when the remote is in the same room as the VCR rather than through the sender, except sometimes if it is held right up close to the VCR. It's as if the sender being active is giving out some sort of signal that is blocking the VCR remote. With the sender off everything returns to normal. :confused:

There is something unusual about the VCR signals anyway, as both the Philips multi-remote that came with the video sender and another cheap multi that I bought are unable to control it. (It's an Aiwa, if it makes any difference!)

13. brendan_dj

brendan_dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I had a problem with using a simple "One-4-all" remote control extender. Symptoms are very similar to what you all describe.

Remote control sometimes stops working upstairs. Especially when there is a bright picture on the TV!

I discovered that when the TV is on upstairs, the remote control downstairs in the living room is tempremental.... as if the IR transmitter is pumping out an IR signal.

Turn the brightness/contrast down on the bedroom TV solved it!
    Bearing in mind that the bedroom TV is generally only used at night, reducing the brightness was not a problem.

Brendan

14. GoochyB

GoochyB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Brendan, it looks like you hit the nail on the head.

For me it wasn't the TV that was creating the spurious IR signal, but the bedroom light (with a low energy bulb). By shielding the receiver from the light (so that the LED stops flickering continuously like it's sending a signal) I can now use the VCR remote. :thumbsup: