Strange Freeview problem

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Coneicus, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Coneicus

Coneicus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a strange problem with receiving freeview.

We live out in the sticks a bit and shouldn't really get freeview but we do fine. However it seem's whenever I turn on this computer which I belive is near the aerial in the roof we loose ITV1, channel 4 and things like ITV2 and E4. The signal complety goes and seem's to be ok when the computer is on. However we can still get BBC1, UK TV history e.t.c.

Anyone know how I can solve this? I can't move this PC anywhere and moving the aerial in the roof will be a problem. We do use a signal booster but not sure if it's any good or if its working as well.

Anyone suggest what I could try??? :thumbsup:

2. njp

njp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    I assume when you say the aerial is in the roof, you mean it is within the roofspace? Is there a reason why you cannot have a proper external aerial on the roof? This would yield a far stronger signal and (combined with some decent coax) would probably solve your problem at a stroke.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Not only will you receive a stronger signal from an aerial on the roof, but the roof will act as a shield to interference sources within the house. Also, if your installation is fairly old, it may not be wired with the correct cable for digital TV, which has an extra foil screen to shield out external interference picked up by the cable.

4. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    I use an aerial in the loft and use a signal booster. It provides an excellent level of signal on my Freeview box. I have to say that I am only about 10 miles from our transmitter in East Anglia. No problems with channels dropping out.

5. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Well the PC is pbviosuly a source of interference.
    What you don't know is whether this interference is being radiated by the PC itself , via your mains cables, other cables attached to the PC or a combination of all these.
    There may be a need to ground (earth) things differently, or run power from different mains rings.
    I woud be experimenting with leads, ferrite rings , mains filtering plugs and the like in your situation.
    As others have already pointed out, an external antenna is the real answer ; you might then not need your signal booster.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

6. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Move the loft aerial as far from the computer as possible. Use double-screened coax cable direct from the aerial to the Freeview box. If you need a signal booster because of the cable length, fit it as close to the aerial as possible.