1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange experience DVD+RW search

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by malcom, Sep 21, 2001.

Tags:
  1. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Although it is early days yet I decided to go and see if I could get a demonstration of the new Philips DVD-Recorder. The region that I live in I could only find a couple of retailers that would be likely to have a machine on Demo.

The first one a main high St electrical goodies retailer had the machine on their shelf but had not connected it up for demonstration purposes.

The next retailer advertises in the Video type mags and has several pages and several outlets throughout the country. So I went in search of them for a demo!

Looking at the advert you would think that this retailer would have quite a classy show room. They advertise some expensive kit at several outlets.

The show room turned out to be about 8 lanes of traffic away from a main high St. The problem being you first have to locate a maze of subways to be negotiated which took me nearly half an hour to do. There were no sign posting to the street concerned and all sense of direction is lost once underground. If I go there again it would probably take about 15 minutes.

When I finally got there it was in side street and the premises not much bigger than an average size living room. They did indeed have some expensive kit but was arranged in such a way that it could only be described as a tip and that is no exaggeration.

At first I could not see the Philips recorder so asking the one and only assistant he pointed to a small table about a foot off the floor and there it was a large sparse metal box. “Could I have a demonstration” I asked! Sorry was the reply as they did not have an Arial connection to it. That was in spite of the fact that nearby was a wide screen TV showing regular TV programs!

He then said to me that it was a lot of money to pay for just recording off the TV.<br />Now I can admire the honest opinion of a salesman (That's why I am not specifically identifying the retailer). But how on earth do they expect to stay in business if they put off an interested customesr and can't be bothered to do a demonstration?

I also asked about a demonstration of a normal DVD player. Once again the retailer could not oblige. So my search for a look-see of how the recorder performs failed miserably. All in all a strange experience! What is wrong with some of our retailers?

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    The UK has still got a lot to learn from the US re: customer service.

Don't s'pose the 'messy living room' was in Covent Garden perchance?