1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

strange DV79 problem????

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Hifi addict, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the strangest thing just happend:
    i wanted to play a CD on my DV79/AVR300 but after the 1st track, the sound acted very strange. It shifted from right to left, went louder and softer all the time, sounded thin and normal on and on.

I reset my AVR300 and DV79 but the strange sound stays. I tried listening to the CD through the analog and digital link but the strange sound stays.

After that, i tried to play a dvd and that sounded normal.

Anyone had this on their system or have a clue what it could be and more important how to fix it? I have the latest sw on my DV79 and 2.90 on my AVR300 :lease:

2. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HiFi addict,

I have DV79 and AVR300 and the same problem appeared - with Bohemina Rhapsody it sounded like somebody had done a new and inferior recording... with Beethoven's 4th it was just wierd.

I played around with the digital output settings on the DV79 (Bitstream, Stereo PCM etc.) and turned Pro-logic to 'off'. This returned the sound to its previous excellence!

Just to check .... I've just tried with a couple of CDs ..... PL = on .... lousy (unlistenable) but particularly so on base heavy and more complex recordings. Switched PL to 'off' .... problem disappeared.

It may well be that I / you could play round with the Dimension / Centre Width and Panorama modes with PL = on and set to Dolby Pro Logic II Music mode, and that this would also solve the problem - I haven't had time to try this yet ... but will soon. (page E-16 in manual)

Incidentally ... I don't recall setting the PL to 'on' in the first place ... perhaps in the early hours after too many red wines?

I hope that this is the solution for you too. (the tweak not the red wine)

3. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try the red wine anyway :)
    but yes !!! good tip !! I remember changing to PL=on a few days ago when I watched a voyager episode and did not turn that off in the D79. Strange though that this impacts 2-ch sound as well. Maybe an sw upgrade is on it's way :)

I'll give it a try after my shopping.... gonna get some red wines :)
    cheers

4. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    indeed ! the problem disappered. Thanks for the advice.

I will try playing around with the centre settings to small etc but for the time being: tonight I can again enjoy the music and the wine :thumbsup:

But I guess this would be something to add to the new SW release for the DV or AVR

5. Engineer

Engineer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HiFi addict,
    There is nothing wrong with the software.
    If you enable pro logic then it will affect 2 channel listening because that is what pro logic does. It creates a multi-channel output from 2 channel sources.
    If you don't have the centre & surround channels connected then it will sound odd because the information going to those channels will be missing. For example, anything that is centrally panned will dissapear because it gets steered to the centre speaker.
    Also, if you are using an AVR300 as well and you do want to use pro logic then you should think about how you are going to set it up. Turning on pro logic in both devices may create something _really_ strange.
    There are 2 ways to do it:
    1. Turn on pro logic in the DV79 and connect the DV79 5.1 o/p to the AVR300 multi-channel i/p.
    2. Turn on pro logic in the AVR300 and use either the digital or 2 channel analogue o/p of DV79.

The situation to avoid would be having pro logic turned on in both and connecting via 2 channel analogue. In that case, you miss all the centre & surround info from the DV79, then the AVR does another pro logic decode of what remains. I can only imagine what that must sound like.

Hope this helps.

6. Andy_61

Andy_61

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "The situation to avoid would be having pro logic turned on in both and connecting via 2 channel analogue. In that case, you miss all the centre & surround info from the DV79, then the AVR does another pro logic decode of what remains. I can only imagine what that must sound like."

Beethoven on speed after too much red wine, I suspect!

7. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the DV79 put on prologic, thinking it would only affect sound when set on multichannel output. I had my AVR300 on stereo direct so no prologic sampling on my AVR. Putting a CD in the DV would turn it automaticly to 2 channel output I would have guessed......

but anyway, turning that setting of resulted in the fine, clear sound I was used to. To me it still looks a bit strange, but if it works as designed then I will live with that. Nothing big, just something to remember

cheers
    Marcel