1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange Clicking sound from EVO sub with Denon 2805

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pez, Sep 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    howdy, ive heard a strange clicking sound that appears to be eminating from my new sub recently, it sounds like 2 blocks of wood being knocked together, its intermittent, and im not sure if its source related (from a sky box, a ps2 or a dvd player).

anyone else heard strange noises from their subs that were not part of a program soundtrack?

pez

2. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not got the Sub set on AUTO by any chance have you? If so, could be that waking up, going back to sleep etc, each time it senses a signal (or no signal).

3. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I switched the sub to on and it was still there, then i switched it and the denon amp to off, the amp still on at the mains so the led at the back was red, and the clicking was still there (which struck me as odd).

ive swapped the rca lead that ive got going from the amp to the subs r input to the l input instead (says in manual it doesnt matter if you use a single cable plugged into either or a y cable plugged into both).

going to test out a few more things later.

one thing that concerns me is that in the pack not only did i get the Sub itself, 4 rubber feet, 4 spikes, a power lead and a manual, but there was also a clear fuse in there too.

i havent seen any info on where this is supposed to go, so its just sitting in the box at the moment.

should i panic now and switch the power off in the sub because the fuse isnt installed?

where would it go?

whats it for?

why no mention of it in the user manual?

it says 5TT 1.6A 250V at one end of the fuse, and bel 125v at the other.

pez

4. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably just a spare fuse. Is there a fuse socket or similar on the back of the sub?

5. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    yeah theres what looks like a fuse cover right next to the ac in port.

so theres a 5 amper in the plug, and then another fuse in the subs ac in.

still getting that weird popping/clicking/2 blocks of wood clacking together sound. its not very loud, and its very intermittant.

god only knows where its coming from.

My sub is also humming, should it be doing that?

pez

6. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If in doubt get it changed for another one. Some subs may have a slight hum from the power transformer at the back but you shouldn't be able to hear it unless you have your ear right up next to it. It also shouldn't be making those noises so I would ask for a replacement.

7. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    going to take it back sometime later this week.

ive managed to replicate the wook clacking sound, it happens around 6 seconds after i flick the switch on the back of the sub from ON to OFF, and its exactly the same noise i hear on occasion while listening to dvds.

pez