Strange ceiling speaker set up - mystery sockets

ejgw

Novice Member
Total beginner here when it comes to amps and speakers but I've been searching online to no avail...

I recently moved into a new flat which has a speaker system installed into the ceilings (about 10 years ago, I think). There are speakers in the ceilings of 5 rooms, which are all single speakers except in the sitting room which has a pair.

I managed to find the inlet sockets which were behind a fitted bookcase so cut a hole through it but I can’t get anything to work. I bought a cheap amp which has two sets of outlets, but strangely there are 4 sets of sockets. The final set on the right look different to those on the left, but that is still more inlets than I have outlets on the amp. I’ve tried various different combinations but to no avail.

Does anyone know what this system is and what kind of input I need to make the speakers work?

Attachments

• Sockets.jpg
    Sockets.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Amp.jpg
    Amp.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Speaker.jpg
    Speaker.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 45

dante01

Distinguished Member
Each speaker will require a channel of amplificatio. Each channel of amplification will require both a negative as well as a postive connection from the amplifier to each speaker.

Your amplifier ap[ppesrs to be a 2 channel amp so can only effectlvely drive 2

I'd siggest the some of the speakers in the other rooms may be wired in series or be sharing the signal used to drive other speakers with? Regardless, you'd need 4 of the terminals on the board to be able to drive the 2 main room speakers. You'd need both a positive and a negative connection for each of those 2 speakers. I'd suggest that the top row of terminal will more than likely be positive while the lower row more than likely negative? All-in-all, ypou'd need 4 of those terminals in total to drive the 2 main room spreakers with.

Last edited:

ejgw

Novice Member
Each speaker will require a channel of amplificatio. Each channel of amplification will require both a negative as well as a postive connection from the amplifier to each speaker.

Your amplifier ap[ppesrs to be a 2 channel amp so can only effectlvely drive 2

I'd siggest the some of the speakers in the other rooms may be wired in series or be sharing the signal used to drive other speakers with? Regardless, you'd need 4 of the terminals on the board to be able to drive the 2 main room speakers. You'd need both a positive and a negative connection for each of those 2 speakers. I'd suggest that the top row of terminal will more than likely be positive while the lower row more than likely negative? All-in-all, ypou'd need 4 of those terminals in total to drive the 2 main room spreakers with.
That's what I was thinking too, but none of the speakers work no matter which combination of inputs I use. The top row are indeed positive and the lower negative since they have black and red bands around them. Also, the inputs on the right seem different to all of the rest so it's very strange.

dante01

Distinguished Member
AS I've suggest, the fact that there are file rooms means that some of the speakers mat be wired in parallel as opposed to having their own dedicated power source? This may explay the different wiring arrangement associated with the other terminals?

No idea as to why you aren't able to drive the speakers with the amp you have, but maybe the amp is at issue and not able to drive them? Can you access the speakers and remove one from the ceiling and make a direct connection from the amp to it for testing purposes?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom