Strange cat problem

stevenM

Banned
Recently my indoor girl cat has been limping sometimes on her back leg. I know the leg isn't broken as i can move it round without her crying. To me it seems like she gets cramp in her leg and will drag it for about 10 seconds and then walk again normally. It seems to be made worse when i take her outside and put her on the concreate, as it will happen straight away then.

she is playing fine and using the leg to scratch herself and wash. Just seems strange

Any ideas before i take her to the vet.

blue max

Distinguished Member
She hasn't damaged a claw has she or cut one of her pads? If not, I wouldn't be concerned for now. I've had two cats for decades and rarely seen the vet. Obviously monitor it and ensure she is not really in any pain as you have done, but it is highly likely to get better by itself. Vet's will prescribe something for your benefit really (in my opinion).

I'm sure the stress of going to the vet's is worse than the symptom half the time.

stevenM

Banned
She hasn't damaged a claw has she or cut one of her pads? If not, I wouldn't be concerned for now. I've had two cats for decades and rarely seen the vet. Obviously monitor it and ensure she is not really in any pain as you have done, but it is highly likely to get better by itself. Vet's will prescribe something for your benefit really (in my opinion).

I'm sure the stress of going to the vet's is worse than the symptom half the time.
I did look but couldnt see anything wrong

twoeyedbob

I would say 'better safe than sorry'
All we're doin here is guessing
I'd be finding a decent vet (there plenty of poor ones)and paying a visit

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

nheather

Distinguished Member
Our she cat is like that.

She didn't do it from birth, but one day when quite young she came in with pronounced limp in her right back leg.

We took her to the vets who went through the checks (short of doing x-rays). The vet concluded that there was nothing wrong, that the cat had probably bruised or sprained it and it would sort itself out.

Sure enough it did, and she was soon running around without a limp.

But 3 years one there are still days when we see her limping on that same leg - and she will be right as rain shortly after.

We have just put it down to having aweak leg or joint. Perhaps resulting from some incident 3 years ago. We have since asked the vet (different ones) several times when we visit for other things and each time have been told that they can't detect any problem.

So we are just ignorring it, but keeping an eye out should it get any worse.

Cheers,

Nigel

stevenM

Banned
Our she cat is like that.

She didn't do it from birth, but one day when quite young she came in with pronounced limp in her right back leg.

We took her to the vets who went through the checks (short of doing x-rays). The vet concluded that there was nothing wrong, that the cat had probably bruised or sprained it and it would sort itself out.

Sure enough it did, and she was soon running around without a limp.

But 3 years one there are still days when we see her limping on that same leg - and she will be right as rain shortly after.

We have just put it down to having aweak leg or joint. Perhaps resulting from some incident 3 years ago. We have since asked the vet (different ones) several times when we visit for other things and each time have been told that they can't detect any problem.

So we are just ignorring it, but keeping an eye out should it get any worse.

Cheers,

Nigel
It is a strange one. I know when its happening as she will hiss and then walk very slowly with 1 back leg off the ground then a few seconds later she is fine. But what seems strange to me is as soon as i put her on concreate outside it happens straight away. i will check her claws again tonight to make sure they are all there and also not too long

Philly112

Distinguished Member
Our male cat is six and started limping on one of his front legs a few months ago. We couldn't see anything wrong, but took him to the vets for a check up and subsequently an x ray. Nothing wrong.
She's probably a pulled muscle - these can apparently take ages to heal, as the cats keep walking on them, jumping around etc, so keep aggravating it.
Ours seems to be getting a bit better, but sometimes after he has been sleeping for ages and them gets up, he limps for a few seconds before shrugging it off. He never cries on it or hisses or anything. He just does a bit of long john silver and then's off and running. Seems similar to nheather's cat.

I'd certainly take her to the vets for a check up, just to make sure it's not a tumour (unlikely, but possible). Or even arthritis, although not likely in a young cat.
X rays are expensive, and a last resort. We wanted to rule out a fracture, but bear in mind it's a general anaesthetic for the cat which has it's own risks of course.
Cheers
Phil

Last edited:

mjn

Distinguished Member
If its an indoor cat, do you trim her claws?

stevenM

Banned
Booked her in to the vets today just to be on the safe side after reading up about blood clots.

Thanks for the help people

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom