strange black bars question...maybe!

leedebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay guys something thats been on my mind after setting up the plasma picture size/position. I have adjusted the overscan so that the picture looks real sharp & the image looks real good.
BUT......................
How wide should the black bars be on a 2:35:1 aspect ratio film on a 37" Panasonic plasma pw7?
The reason? Well everytime I see a screenshot on this site when someone has taken a photo of their set up I see that the black bars on their displays are fairy small, say 1" to 1" and a half but on my set up the black bars are just under 2" wide.
When I do the THX circle test the circle is perfectly round and when i watch films any circles on screen seem correct, nobody looks fat etc.
Could some with a panny pw7 37" check say Starwars TPM or AOTC and measure the black bars :lease: to see if I need to adjust something or not! :eek:
BTW I did check that I was in the correct ratio mode on the plasma when doing these tests :lesson:

If you have reduced the overscan then the bars will be bigger.

gizlaroc said:
If you have reduced the overscan then the bars will be bigger.
I thought that would be the case but am slightly concerned that I have adjusted it too much, hence my question to others " How wide should the black bars be on a 2:35:1 aspect ratio film on a 37" Panasonic plasma pw7?"
Can someone please check for me? :lease:

This is to add to the thread, my first post so please forgive me for my ignorance.

Can you get rid of the black bars altogether on say the pv500, like you can on a crt tv Zoom feature, for movies that are filmed in 2.35 ala LOTR trilogy? :cool:

brownieeyes said:
This is to add to the thread, my first post so please forgive me for my ignorance.

Can you get rid of the black bars altogether on say the pv500, like you can on a crt tv Zoom feature, for movies that are filmed in 2.35 ala LOTR trilogy? :cool:

yes you can, but why would you want to? zooming in on a widescreen image sort of takes the point away of having a widescreen DVD in the first place :confused:

leedebs said:
I thought that would be the case but am slightly concerned that I have adjusted it too much, hence my question to others " How wide should the black bars be on a 2:35:1 aspect ratio film on a 37" Panasonic plasma pw7?"
Can someone please check for me? :lease:

OK, if you have set the overscan using a test patteren on something like Digital Video essentials, and have checked to see if the circle pattern is correct ,then you dont have a problem. The black bars may look a little bigger because you have reduced the overscan of the picture. As long as you have brought the sides in as well as the top and bottom in equal measures, then you dont have a problem.

Some pictures you may have seen could have been not set right in the first place. As long as the anamorphic circle pattern is correct, dont worry about it.
A lot of people wont even have adjusted the overscan at all and are loosing a lot of image and hence have smaller black bars.

Dave-S said:
OK, if you have set the overscan using a test patteren on something like Digital Video essentials, and have checked to see if the circle pattern is correct ,then you dont have a problem. The black bars may look a little bigger because you have reduced the overscan of the picture. As long as you have brought the sides in as well as the top and bottom in equal measures, then you dont have a problem.

Some pictures you may have seen could have been not set right in the first place. As long as the anamorphic circle pattern is correct, dont worry about it.
A lot of people wont even have adjusted the overscan at all and are loosing a lot of image and hence have smaller black bars.
Yes I have set up the anamorphic circle pattern correctly.
Okay thanks for that, so a correctly set up & adjusted picture (overscan set up correctly) all things being equal then my 2:35:1 image in theory should be the same size as someones else 37" plasma.

Bump.
Anyone care to measure the black bar width of a 2:35:1 film on dvd to put me outta my misery. :rolleyes:
This is after they have ensured the anamorphic circle test (THX) is correct on their plasma. :)
:lease:

OK, I will do it for you on my Viera plasma tonight when I get home. However I really do think that you have nothing to worry about. I set my Overscan so that it is on the 2.5% mark on the test patteren on DVE. If you have set yours to the limit of almost .5% or even 0% overscan then your black bars will be wider than mine. In an ideal world there would be no overscan and all the black bars would be the same for a 2:35:1 movie..

I will post in the morning with the width of the black bars on the fellowship of the ring, ok?

Dave.

leedebs said:
Bump.
Anyone care to measure the black bar width of a 2:35:1 film on dvd to put me outta my misery. :rolleyes:
This is after they have ensured the anamorphic circle test (THX) is correct on their plasma. :)
:lease:

Also remember that even if the anamorphic circle test is correct on someones plasma, their overscan may be different. As long as it is an equall amount of overscan all round the picture, the circle test will look right. :)

leedebs said:
so a correctly set up & adjusted picture (overscan set up correctly) all things being equal then my 2:35:1 image in theory should be the same size as someones else 37" plasma.

this post is slightly contradicting! if youve set the overscan to less than a standard PW7, then your black bars will be bigger than someone who has not adjusted the overscan. as long as you have the right aspect, does it matter if you get slightly bigger bars?

Dave-S said:
Ok,

On my 37" Panasonic Veira plasma, The black bar thickness (using lord of the rings, the fellow ship of the ring extended version, is 2 inches or if you preffer 50mm give or take. Hope this helps.
Dave.
Cheers Dave, same as mine (just checked) seems I have adjusted overscan about right then.
Thanks for taking the time to do this.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom