• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Strange behaviour with PS3 Play TV FV recordings

Brooktop

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I've had no joy in the PS3>Media& streaming forum.

My Play TV/PS3 has started doing something strange and I'm wondering if it may be a Freeview issue.

Play TV records fine but when I transfer some of the recordings to the XMB, they are corrupted. This only affects some channels. The thing is, if you take the m2ts file onto a pc - it plays fine.

So far I've tried the following with no success:

Restored the PS3 to its default settings
Reinstalled Play TV and all the settings
Tried a new Play TV box.

Sony have no idea and could only suggest reformatting the HDD. I don't think the HDD is the issue because it would affect recordings from ALL channels - not just selected ones. A reformat would be a major headache for me!

The problem did start cropping up before the retune, but I think fewer channels were affected.

Anyone got ANY suggestions :lease:

Brooktop

My own research seems to point to a problem with the transmission. The issue only seems to affect channels using Mux 2 of the Waltham transmitter. My brother in law has the same issue.

Is there anyone I can contact about the issue?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
My own research seems to point to a problem with the transmission. The issue only seems to affect channels using Mux 2 of the Waltham transmitter. My brother in law has the same issue.

Is there anyone I can contact about the issue?

It's likely to be your aerial, Waltham mux 2 uses uhf channel 23 which is right at the bottom of the uhf spectrum. Most aerial fitters fit wideband yagi aerials which have a very poor performance at this end of the spectrum. An amplifier might help especially if you can fit a masthead amplifier in the loft powered up the coax from the TV location

For more info and aerial recommendations see here

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/walthamtx.html

Brooktop

Thanks Graham. The aerial was indeed fitted just 2.5 years ago, so it could be as you say. The strange thing is, the channels do look ok when viewing and even when recorded within Play TV, it's just strange how it gets corrupted when transferring the m2ts file to the PS3's XMB.

It's really not worth me going to the time and expense of adding amplifiers for something which is an annoyance rather than critical to my viewing - at least I can receive them. I suppose I can only hope it gets resolved at switchover or by a Playstation update.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thanks Graham. The aerial was indeed fitted just 2.5 years ago, so it could be as you say. The strange thing is, the channels do look ok when viewing and even when recorded within Play TV, it's just strange how it gets corrupted when transferring the m2ts file to the PS3's XMB.

It's really not worth me going to the time and expense of adding amplifiers for something which is an annoyance rather than critical to my viewing - at least I can receive them. I suppose I can only hope it gets resolved at switchover or by a Playstation update.

Now that's interesting, are you sure the files are m2ts that's normally a container used in high definition video camcorders for high definition mpeg4 video. M2TS HD files can burnt to a AVCHD format on a normal DVD and replayed in full HD using a bluray player.

I would have expected the SD files to be in the original broadcast stream mpeg2 transmission stream format. Try playing back the files on a PC using VLC Player.

::::::FREE VLC DOWNLOAD::::::

Brooktop

Hi - yep, m2ts! Although I suppose the Playstation could be converting whatever format the PS3 Play TV records in and converts it to m2ts. I suspect that that isn't the case though, because even with a large recording (up to 4Gb) it only takes seconds to transfer it from Play TV to the main XMB. When you record some radio from Freeview and transfer it out of Play TV to the PS3 XMB it takes ages because it converts it to MP3.

The funny thing is, even if you take the (supposedly corrupted) m2ts video file off the PS3 and onto a PC, the m2ts file plays fine in VLC...and it can even be converted, to MP4 for example. That file will then be played by the Playstation...but it's a lot of faff.

This all used to work fine until about a fortnight before the retune. I first noticed it with E4 and I think it spread to other channels after the retune - but couldn't swear to that.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Hi - yep, m2ts! Although I suppose the Playstation could be converting whatever format the PS3 Play TV records in and converts it to m2ts. I suspect that that isn't the case though, because even with a large recording (up to 4Gb) it only takes seconds to transfer it from Play TV to the main XMB. When you record some radio from Freeview and transfer it out of Play TV to the PS3 XMB it takes ages because it converts it to MP3.

The funny thing is, even if you take the (supposedly corrupted) m2ts video file off the PS3 and onto a PC, the m2ts file plays fine in VLC...and it can even be converted, to MP4 for example. That file will then be played by the Playstation...but it's a lot of faff.

This all used to work fine until about a fortnight before the retune. I first noticed it with E4 and I think it spread to other channels after the retune - but couldn't swear to that.

The retune squashed more channels onto Mux 1 to clear space on Mux B for HD so some channels now have lower bitrates than before so it would seem that the Play TV firmware can't handle this in someway. A PS3 forum is likely to yield more answers.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom