• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Strange audio popping/clicks with my surround sound. Only with Xbox

SuperStrongBad

Novice Member
Dear all

I have been searching for help with my problem for days, but havent found anything.

I have an old style xbox 360, that i plug up to a home cinema surround sound system via an optical cable. For several months now, during periods of continuous music or audio intensity, I have noticed that popping or clicking sounds will occur. It won't happen at any set intervals, but seems to only occur in sections of sustained noise

I first thought that this was due to the cable, so I bought a newer, more expensive one, but I get the same problem. I then thought it may be my home cinema system, but this isnt likely as I do not get the same problem whenever I hook up my PS3 using the same cable

Quite frankly, it is driving my crazy, and any help on the issue would be appreciated. I had thought it may be a problem with my xbox cable: you know its one of those old ones that has the optical port built into it. However, I dont want to buy a new cable if it is unlikely to solve the issue.

Thanks in advance for any help

Euan C

SuperStrongBad

Novice Member
Unfortunately, for me, after more testing it seems that I get the same problem with the ps3, and indeed with any of my optical port equipped devices. It had been a while since I used the ps3, so I thought it was an xbox specific problem.

If anyone has any advice for my problem, that there is a problem with my home cinema system's optical port, it would be greatly appreciated.

Dinky Dragon

SuperStrongBad

Novice Member
I dont think this is the issue. I'm not using an amp. Its an all-in-one system, the LG - HT805TH. Plus i already have a surge protector.

Could it still be the issue in my case?

Dinky Dragon

All in ones still use an amp ;)

My popping was from my inputs being changed. Changing my surge protector fixed this.

The issue was with electrical noise, are you using a fan? What are you running off the same socket?

SuperStrongBad

Novice Member
Ah I see.

My surge protector has my tv and my Xbox as well as my all-in-one plugged into it. I don't think I ever have anything else plugged into it.

Dinky Dragon

Yeah thats not alot at all.

Hmm Im at a loss, its deffo your all in one. Id give another optical cable a go. If it still dont work then a new setup may be in order!

Gitrdun

Novice Member
I had this same problem, tried resetting the surround sound system, plugging it into an outlet on a different circuit (someone said electrical noise can cause this and suggested a surge protector), stripping speaker cables to fresh metal and checking polarity, cleaning the optical cable, etc

I was about to go and buy a new optical cable (the one in have is a pound shop special) but as a last resort, I used a scribe to hold open the cover of the optical ports on both the surround system and TV, and blasted it with one of those keyboard dusters using the straw attachment and now it works fine. I guess it was just full of dust and one tiny piece is enough to cause interference

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom