1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange Amp problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Cook, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Cook

Cook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just finished watching "Trading Places" on my Yamaha 630SE and had a very strange problem. At one specific point in the film the amp switched itself off and when turned back on displays the "CHECK SP WIRES" message (short circuited speaker wires). But it is at only one specific point in the movie and the volume has to be reasonably (-38) high, turn it down and its fine. It has never happened before, I've has the SP WIRES message before but that was cus wires were touching, not due to a specific part of a film.

Any ideas anyone?

Edit: OK, after a long process of elimination I tracked it down to my right-rear speaker cable had come slightly loose and was touching, but I still don't know why this would show up at only one point in the film, I think its a high treble bit, if that makes a difference....

2. Resonance

Resonance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    This sounds like over-load protection - your amp is trying to deliver a high current do to the loud part of the film but the short takes the current into overload. To protect itself the amp shuts down.

You may find your amp is running hot.