1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange 2 sec. skip playing R2 @ 60Hz

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by KraGorn, Jan 24, 2004.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just watched FoTR:EE using my R2 discs and noticed a very strange phenomena I don't recall experiencing with the R1 set, though I'm sure it's not the discs per se.

Using TheaterTek driving my Z2 @ 1280x720@60Hz, every few minutes, not necessarily at regular intervals, the playback would suddenly skip something like 2 seconds or so ... there was a momentary drop-out of sound, a few words of dialog just vanished and the action skipped forward.

It's as if TT has decided it's playing too slow and so it skips forward a little .. I've no idea if that's what it IS doing but it's was it SEEMS to be doing.

This happened throughout disc 1 ... when I switched to disc 2 I didn't think it happened, and I was trying to look for it ... however, I played disc 1 with the DTS soundtrack but forgot to re-select DTS for disc 2 so that played back using Dolby.

Can anyone shed light on this? Could it be DTS related in any way? I may try re-watching disc 1 using Dolby tomorrow but this kind of irks me.

2. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I would suggest this was a synch issue. Normally you would get microstutters when playing 50hz discs at 60hz. But, I had an issue with one of my discs (Forrest Gump I think). Played it for about 10 minutes then an almighty hiccup. Almost as if the player is storing up the difference in synch until it can't take no more and re-synchs itself. Some discs were better than others. Just a guess mind you.

Using re-clock might help - but I have read that DTS is more troublesome because of its higher encoding rate.

I cant play 50hz discs at 60hz - does my head in - too many issues.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll go look at re-clock, I've got it bookmarked from a long time ago but never had cause to investigate.

I guess 10 mins could possibly be the sort of interval ... and I'm pretty sure I don't get this with DD5.1.

4. Eric Chadwick

Eric Chadwick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had terrible sync problems when I recently 'upgraded' my soundcard drivers (I have an M Audio Audiophile). This resulted in the sort of glitches you mention and if you tried to skip forward or back a chapter sound would completely lose sync with video. Going for an old set of beta drivers recommended for HTPC use as advised by the guys on the theatertek forum (thanks!) solved that and using reclock has completely removed the micro stuttering that I always got before with dvd and assumed was par for the course. You have to run a refresh rate that is a multiple of the disc frame rate ie 75hz for PAL DVD on a projector and this may not be quite as sharp as the native refresh rate for your PJ but the removal of the micro stutters has more than made up for it for me. Heartily recommend Theatertek for picture quality too although it is not easy to use to play files from your HD.