Straight talking advice needed Samsung LE-26R41B vs LG 26LX2R

Bernie Steak

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I'm currently looking for an LCD TV, 26".

Basically looking for the best I can get at anything less than £800. Must be HDTV ready.

These two (Samsung LE-26R41B vs LG 26LX2R) both seem to pretty much fit the bill.

I've done a lot of searching, and a lot of reading, but I would appreciate it if anyone could give their opinion on these two in a "head to head" scenario, possibly with pros and cons for each set in comparison the other?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I'm personally leaning a little towards the LG at the moment, but could easily be persuaded either way I think!

:)

I'de go for the samsung, they seem better with soccer (response time is better). I don't liek LG that much. Depends on your own taste ;)

Is the fact that the Samsung is missing a DVI input significant?

I watch a lot of football (soccer) on TV, so that is important to me though!

Basically I want to be future proof, have a good picture.... what most people want I imagine.

It will also double (part time) as a monitor for my PC.

What about the Samsung "tearing" issue, is that a big problem.

Bernie Steak said:
Basically I want to be future proof, have a good picture.... what most people want I imagine. Samsung: Check, it's HD-Ready so is

It will also double (part time) as a monitor for my PC.

What about the Samsung "tearing" issue, is that a big problem.
I'd go for (and did) the Samsung. It's future-proof since it's HD-Ready. The PC over VGA at 1:1 resolution is simply stunning. Also, Samsung have said they've found a solution for the tearing so, fingers crossed, it should no longer be an issue. That and the actual design is gorgeous.

No, not having DVI is not significant. It has the newer HDMI connection on the back. HDMI is essentially DVI with Audio. So you get both through the one cable, rather than having two hooked up. The two are compatible, so you can buy a DVI > HDMI cable.

The Samsung looks fantastic when hooked up to a PC via VGA.

The "tearing" is no longer an issue; Samsung now have a fix out for it, and I'd say it's unlikely that a new set will have this problem. It had been blown way out of proportion here. I have an LE32R41BX, have done extensive testing, and from what I've seen, do not have this problem.

the tearing issue doesnt seem to be a big problem to me. Although there are lots of threads about it, it wont happen to everyone.

I have the 32' version of the samsung and its brilliant. Excellent picture from all sources.

Works great for PC input.

If you need to input DVI, you can buy an adaptor DVI to HDMI. Thery are quite cheap apparently. Then that will solve your problem.

I havent had any experience of the LG, but as of yet, (had it for 3 weeks) cant fault the Samsung.

Other than my sky box blew up last night, so cant watch anything on it! :oops:

Cheers
Ben

Annoying when you post the same messgae as someone else at the same time! :)

Bernie Steak said:
Hello.

I'm currently looking for an LCD TV, 26".

Basically looking for the best I can get at anything less than £800. Must be HDTV ready.

These two (Samsung LE-26R41B vs LG 26LX2R) both seem to pretty much fit the bill.

I've done a lot of searching, and a lot of reading, but I would appreciate it if anyone could give their opinion on these two in a "head to head" scenario, possibly with pros and cons for each set in comparison the other?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I'm personally leaning a little towards the LG at the moment, but could easily be persuaded either way I think!

:)

I got the 26LX2R, personally i think its a magic set... the vga through dvi looks stunning and the picture through all sources (haven't tried HDMI) looks realy good, provided you have a good source. HD Content is out of this world, beautiful stuff. Response time at 8ms is more than enough - I'm really happy with this set.

That said... its really up to which one you prefer when you watch the pictures. Evryone with samsung will tel you to buy the samsung and everyone with Lg will tell you to go that way... mainly because they've bought that set and think its the best thing next to sliced bread... i mean, it has to be, right, what with all the money you put down for it.

I think they're both great sets... pick which ever you prefer and best fits your needs. You gotta have a preference? - even ifs it just based on asthetics (both sets have really good looks)

good luck

Looks wise, I like the LG best, but my wife likes the Samsung.

In terms of picture quality, I cant really say. Comet's only ever had them hooked up to a really poor signal and nobody has been around the last few times I've been in to help by connecting them to something decent! Really stupid selling TVs when they're showing a bad image!

Apart from the tearing, people seem very hot on the Samsung, but that appears to be about to be (or has been) resolved anyway.

I'm only concerned that the lack of inputs on the Samsung might be an issue, as I'm looking to keep the TV for some time, and it will probably end up wired into SKY HDTV when that comes out, a hi-def DVD, and a PC/Mac, at least.

I copmpared teh sets head to head and I like the Samsung better because the image seemed to have less ghosting and betetr colors. Samsung has a PC in, HDMI, 2 Scartsockets, component and S-video and a normal AV connection. Sky HD will be component, DVD player HDMI and the PC should be used with the D-sub ;)

Bernie Steak said:
Looks wise, I like the LG best, but my wife likes the Samsung.

In terms of picture quality, I cant really say. Comet's only ever had them hooked up to a really poor signal and nobody has been around the last few times I've been in to help by connecting them to something decent! Really stupid selling TVs when they're showing a bad image!

Apart from the tearing, people seem very hot on the Samsung, but that appears to be about to be (or has been) resolved anyway.

I'm only concerned that the lack of inputs on the Samsung might be an issue, as I'm looking to keep the TV for some time, and it will probably end up wired into SKY HDTV when that comes out, a hi-def DVD, and a PC/Mac, at least.

To me, they're very similar in features and connections (Samsung Dsub - LG DVI being the only difference). I'm happy with my 32LX2R, and I'm sure I would be as happy with the Samsung.

Compromise between you and your wife could be the SamsungR51B (different model) or maybe the Samsung M model.

Would it not be better quality to use a DVI for the PC/Mac graphics card than the d-sub? Other than that, the Samsung seems to be swinging it....

:D

Argh!?!

:eek:

Bernie Steak said:
Would it not be better quality to use a DVI for the PC/Mac graphics card than the d-sub? Other than that, the Samsung seems to be swinging it....

In theory, yes, DVI would be better, but all reports suggest this tv works extremely well on d-sub input, leaving the HDMI on the sammy for something else, so thelack of DVi is not really missed.

I'll let you know myself when mine arrives :D :rotfl:

Still torn. Lots of pros for both, and no cons really to speak of.

Wish I was loaded, I'd buy both!

Thanks for the input so far.

for dual monitors would it be best to use a DVI to HDMI male to male converter connected to my radeon 9600 DVI output while my current PC monitor stays in the DSUB socket?

I see from your signature you're having much the same dilema Mr.Chicken?!

What's your thoughts so far? Swaying much one way or the other?

Samsung and Philips are both great with D-sub. They seem to handle it in a way that its equall in quailty, or sometimes even better, then other monitors on DVI. So the lack of DVI on the Samsung isn't an issue (according tomost reviewers the Samsung hason of the best PC outputs ever, it even beats my desktop monitor).

Whats the biggest size the Samsung LE LCD range goes up to?? is it 32" or do they go higher?

Bernie Steak said:
Still torn. Lots of pros for both, and no cons really to speak of.

Wish I was loaded, I'd buy both!

Thanks for the input so far.

Bernie, :hiya:

I have just been agonising over the same choice as you, after deliberating for ages - I have finally gone for the Samsung LE26R51BD.

:clap:

Andy

Go for the samsung, it`s a good £180 cheaper and there`s nothing between them performance wise.

Might seem a fairly obvious/stupid question to some, but would the 32" versions be much the same in "style" of images?

I ask because Comet had the 32" screens hooked up to something decent, whereas the 26" versions both had appaling video feeds going to them. So I wonder if I could make a decision on the 26" based on the 32" qualities?

:confused: :thumbsup:

andrewfee said:
I know they do a 40" set, I'm not sure if they also do bigger than that. They are all virtually identical; the only difference is the panel size from what I can tell.

They do a 40" LCD??? for real? is it in the same range as the LE26/32R41BD??

Anyone have a model Number or link to a pag selling it?
:lease:

I know this is an old thread but instead of creating another I'll use it.

I'm having a similar problem deciding between the Samsung LE26R51BD and the LG 26LX2R.

I've read quite a lot of the other threads and found evidence to buy either of them. I really like the look of the LG set over the Sammy but its still 50/50 over which one I'll end up getting

This wont be my main set just one for my bedroom using DVDs, Xbox and hopefully 360.

Can anyone add a few last minute thoughts to help me decide? :lease:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom