Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Looks like a really gritty and realistic biopic. Not.

https://twitter.com/icecube/status/626441455406485504

@icecube
Dope piece on #StraightOuttaCompton from @empiremagazine. #StraightOuttaComptonUK Read more: http://bit.ly/ic_empire
CLGRLv_UYAEp1xY.jpg

Times nicely for Dr Dre New album, released Monday, Compton! Love the album artwork

A strong opening weekend across the pond...

Box Office: 'Straight Outta Compton' Breaks Out With Massive $56.1M - Hollywood Reporter
Swaggering into theaters across North America, Straight Outta Compton beat all expectations, grabbing an estimated $56.1 million — and leaving The Man from U.N.C.L.E., the weekend’s other new wide release, which pulled in a meager $13.5 million, in its dust.

Universal’s R-rated Compton, the biopic about the groundbreaking hip-hop group N.W.A, produced for just $29 million, posted a best-ever opening for director F. Gary Gray and overshadowed other rap movies like Eminem’s 8 Mile, which bowed to $51.2 million in 2002, and Notorious, the story ofNotorious B.I.G., which opened to $20.5 million in 2009. The film could also claim the best August opening for an R-rated movie as well as the top opening for a musical biopic...

The first cut of the film was 3hrs, now director F. Gary Gray is planning a Director's Cut Blu-Ray with the runtime around 2hrs 46mins, making it 16mins longer than the cinema release. Though not officially confirmed at this stage.

Just seen it, great film and if you love the music or grew up listening to it, it will,bring back memories, I couldn't believe how much the guy who played ice cube looked like him. 7.5/10

Do you think it will appeal to people who didn't grow up with the music?

Just seen it, great film and if you love the music or grew up listening to it, it will,bring back memories, I couldn't believe how much the guy who played ice cube looked like him. 7.5/10

Do you mean Ice Cube's son O'Shea Jackson Jr.?

Love the music , not the lifestyle. You can take a girl outa Essex etc.

really enjoyed it, looking forward to the blue ray release with all the extras

As a NWA fan back in the day I'm looking forward to hopefully the telling of the story and how Dr Dre became a billionaire and easily the most successful

Do you think it will appeal to people who didn't grow up with the music?
Hard to say mate, how NWA came into been and the fallout and the rise of DeathRow records is all there but if you weren't into the music and the artists it may not be as appealing as a true life story it's very good though.

I'll just leave this here....

tr.jpg

Watched this last night, pretty good I thought but if you know a bit about the history of it I would say it's obvious that it is produced by Ice Cube and Dr. Dre.

And I don't think you need to know too much about it to enjoy the film, although there were a few bits I had to explain to the wife, but then that goes for most films so I wouldn't take that as an example. Lol

Superb film, this film brings back so much memories. Really felt as if we were reliving the 80/90's again. Well recommended if you're into the rap culture. Some great performances from the Eazy and Dre actor. 4.5/5

I grew up listening to this stuff and, even so, you can just look at it the same as something like 8 Mile and it's a decent enough story of some kids rising from the gutter that stands on it's own well enough. Knowing the background helps to flesh out a lot of it as it's such a big story that wants to pay it's dues to so many different events the film is almost like a collection of bulletpoints and it hits the ground running and doesn't really let up until the credits roll. There's not a huge amount of detail in there but you get to know the characters and they all, well most of them, go through their arc, fairly standard biopic stuff told from one perspective, but entertaining none the less. The beats still rock. And Cube Jnr is just.... whoah. It's uncanny.

Nice to see Neil Brown Jnr (Guillermo, The Walking Dead season 1) playing DJ Yella. Not that he got much screen time, this was definitely the Cube and Dre show. Strangely enough, at times it reminded me of Oliver Stone's The Doors, but maybe that's just the

self destructive cycles

these guys always slip into

Saw it tonight, as a causal rap fan (I just enjoy good music regardless of genre as a rule) I thought this was terrific. My only real reservation was that Dre and Cube were almost portrayed like saints, which as even someone with a fleeting interest in their stories know that, that's not exactly accurate, but to a degree was not to be unexpected as they were both involved in the production. I'll def been interested in seeing the (even) longer blu ray cut.
8/10

Last edited:
saw it on saturday and it was amazing. 9/10 but left a few holes in it

Sounds like a must-see for fans of the genre judging by early feedback on this thread... may we have a voting poll please?! @raigraphixs

Watched this last night and can only really echo the previous comments about it being an enjoyable nostalgia trip (for those of us who had the album on cassette back when we were teenagers) but it did feel a bit too much like a hagiography for Dr Dre and Ice Cube at times!

Sounds like the success of SOC (it's already made over $150m at the U.S. Box office) should spawn a few spin offs, which might provide some different perspective of this era.

Ice Cube says Straight Outta Compton critics should make their own NWA movie | Film | The Guardian

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. (maybe less so due to 2 drunk couples next to me chatting all the way through) Ill deffo get it on Blu to see the directors cut and extras.

I enjoyed this, good music and performances. will watch again on bruwray for sure

Saw this last night...still going strong judging by the amount of people who turned up to see it (of which many probably didn't know the story judging by the gasps and shock at seeing the scene where the Dr announces to Eric the results of the test)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom