Straight or Direct setting on Yamaha amp

gwarde

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am in the process of connecting a Panasonic BD35 to my Yamaha DSP AX 463 amp. After browsing through this forum I gather that the BD35 will output True HD audio which if I select bitstream on the player will play through the amp which accepts LPCM through the HDMI. After reading the manual for the amp I am still confused as to which setting the amp should be set on to play the True HD audio, either straight or direct. They both appear to do the same, I am aware that the amp won't decode HD audio but am comfortable with the fact that it will accept LPCM over HDMI. So any helpers, straight or direct - thanks in advance.:lease:

Hi

I am in the process of connecting a Panasonic BD35 to my Yamaha DSP AX 463 amp. After browsing through this forum I gather that the BD35 will output True HD audio which if I select bitstream on the player will play through the amp which accepts LPCM through the HDMI.

You actually need to set the player to do the decoding rather than bitstream the audio to the receiver to decode. You've set the player to send the encoded bitstream for the receiver to decode and the receiver has no onboard HD audio abilities. You need to set the player's audio output to PCM.

You can get more info here:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-a...06-attempt-explain-high-definition-audio.html

Thanks Dante1, that makes more sense. Any ideas on the straight or direct mode on the amp?

Thanks Dante1, that makes more sense. Any ideas on the straight or direct mode on the amp?

I don't know, but I thought the direct mode by-passed the amps DSP stage? You shouldn't need to set any particular mode for LPCM, the amp itself should automatically recognise the stream as being LPCM?

Anybody got any ideas about the difference between the straight or direct selections on this amp??????????????

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom