1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STR-VA555ES firmware update

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cybersoga, Jan 7, 2003.

1. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Any more information as to how to get hold of the firmware update to fix the odd 6.1ES problem with certain discs? My R2 Terminator 2 makes popping noises (DTS 6.1ES) when you pause and resume playing the disc. I also have a problem with lord of the rings, which is detected as DTS 3/3 (discrete) it plays fine in AFD mode (5.1), but won't play in 6.1 mode. According to US forums, the firmware has been updated for the DA5ES to 1.74, I have 1.4 in my reciever, checked by rotating the knob under the flap to the left until it's displayed. The reciever has a serial port on the back for this perpous, perhaps I could do it myself, or has anyone got a phone number for somone in Sony that knows about the problem and can offer a solution?

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm not in a desperate rush to get it fixed because I don't have a 6.1 setup yet, but I may upgrade at some point. I got it from sevenoaks in the sale at the beginning of this year.

3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  4. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have spoken to my dealer, Sevenoaks (Southampton) and they have spoken to their Sony rep, who hasn't heard of the problem or the firmware update. Does anyone know a name and phone number for somone in Sony UK who knows about the problem. Thanks.

5. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know of anyone at Sony who knows about the problem, mainly as I haven't tried.

However, I've got my dealer (HotKit) looking into it. Hopefully hear from them in the next few days.

Cheers

Ian

6. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An update.

HotKit have got back to me with the response that, yes, Sony UK know of the problem and yes, there is a firmware update available.

HotKit have offered to take the unit and pass it on for the firmware patch (good service) or as an alternative given me a number to call to talk to Sony direct to find a service centre that can do the work. The number is: 08705 111999

Cheers

Ian

7. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Further update.

Just spoke to Sony Customer Services on the above number. They confirm that an upgrade is available as a firmware patch.

They gave me contact details for the main Sony Service Centre at West Drayton:

Sony Service Centre
    Unit 2, The Heathrow Summit Centre
    Skyport Drive
    West Drayton
    Middlesex
    UB7 0SU

Tel: 020 8283 2700

I have to now talk to the Sony Service Centre (have to wait until Monday now) and according to Sony Customer Services it is a no-charge fix and also that the Sony Service Centre should arrange a courier to collect and return the amp as well. Result :)

OK, will will see if this all comes off, I'll report back if I get anywhere on Monday.

Cheers

Ian

8. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks for the info, i'll let you go first, then i'll print this thread and show it to the chap at Sevenoaks, if I get them to do it, it would be easier for me to collect it when it's done! lemme know how you get on!

9. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll let you know how I get on, no probs.

Cheers

Ian

10. stretcher

stretcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just wondered how you guys were getting on with the upgrade? This receiver is on my shortlist and having spoken to a few suppliers, they share you initial experiences of not knowing anything about it!

11. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems that Sony Customer Services know all about it. However, the people at the Sony Service Centre don't (well, not the guys that answer the phone).

So, I'm waiting for my dealer to sort it out with Sony before I send my amp down there to be 'fixed'. I.e. I don't want to send the amp down for it to sit there for four weks while they sort out how to do it.

I hope to hear back from my dealer early this week coming with confirmation that the Sony Service Centre are in a position to do a quick turnround on my amp, i.e. they have the kit and software to hand.

stretcher
    All you need to do is make sure that the one you buy has a firmware version of 1.7x (where x may be equal to 4, i.e version 1.74). Mine and other peoples who are having problems have version 1.4. So, if you are going to a physical shop, ask them to power the amp up and show you the firmware version before you hand over the cash. Or if you are going to hand over cash, get them to send it off to be upgraded before you hand over the cash.

Cheers

Ian

12. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I found the website with the actual files to download, and it works, it updates my AV reciever to 1.74! http://www.css.ap.sony.com/ select Home Audio in the box on the left, then in the boxes on the right choose Amplifier and STR-VA555ES. This will then give you a link to download v1.61 (but it's actually 1.74). Follow the instructions, you will need a null modem serial cable. You will need to set your AV reciever up again as it clears all user data.

[​IMG]

13. stretcher

stretcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    iwatkins

Thanks for the advice:)

14. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cybersoga
    Well done that man. I'll give it a go shortly and see if I get it to work as well. Just have to dig into my box of cables and find a null modem cable. Only question is, is it quicker to bring the amp to the computer or take the computer to the amp ? ;) Actually, I think the computer weighs less and has less cables going into it :)

I'll report back if it works.

stretcher
    No probs :)

Cheers

Ian

15. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I flashed it with a laptop I have for setting up routers/hubs that I use for work, no sweat :) It now automatically detects DTS ES 6.1 (matrix and discrete) correctly. In Auto Format Decode mode, Lord of the Rings SE played fine in DTS ES discrete [3+3], Terminator 2 played fine as DTS ES matrixed [3/2+1] and with no glitches. Star Wars episode 2 in DD EX still needed me to take it off of Auto Format Decode mode and press the 6.1 button to put it in DD EX matrixed [3/2+1] mode, but it's no major hassle.

Having played with the new firmware, I can safely say that it's as bug free as it can get, in fact this is the most bug free AV reciever I ever tried - every one I tried before had something wrong with it! Unlike my old Marantz SR5200 there's no delay at all before the sound starts, I can actually hear the transition sounds in DVD menus and layer change dropout is heardly noticable. I also like the fact I can set up seperate cross over points for each speaker, without cutting off the top part of the LFE. I love it! :)

16. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1.74, oh yes indeedy !!!

Yep, worked a treat, only takes about 3.5 minutes to flash the system.

DTS 3/3 on Blade 2 works fine, sounds comes back instantly after a pause etc. 6.1 works fine.

Radio tuner also seems a lot faster to search and I've got more channels than I had last, but that could be down to reception improvement because of the weather.

Everything seems to work fine, but I'll play with a few more discs after I've reset my levels and everything back up again.

YIPPEE !! :D

And this also means I don't have to send off the amp. or deal with the Sony Service Centre anymore.

DOUBLE YIPPEE !! :D

Thanks to cybersoga for pointing this site out. Good on yer. :D

Cheers

Ian

17. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Glad it worked out for ya :)

18. teddstarr

teddstarr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,just been browsing the SONY download page mentioned in this thread and noticed a download for the VA333ES.Ihave a few questions;

1.What,if any,performance enhancments would this give the 333?

2.Is it safe to use this download?

3.How the hell do i perform the download and subsiquent installation(treat me as a child as i am a relative novice at this tech stuff!!!)

Many regards

Teddstarr:confused: :confused: :D

SONY STR VA333ES
    SONY DVP NS900
    SONY VTX S760u DIGIBOX
    MISSION M73(fronts)
    KEF HTS2001(rears X3)
    HITACHI 28 INCH WIDESCREEN(weak link soon to be upgraded)
    SONY PL2
    MISSION SUB(soon to be REL QUAKE)
    CHORD COMPANY CONNECTIONS

19. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I don't know what the update for the VA333 does since it doesn't do 6.1 decoding anyway, but if your not having problems then I wouldn't worry to much about having yours updated. Instructions are included with the update, but if you don't know your RS232 port from your nostril, havn't flashed a BIOS before and don't understand the precautions and risks, I suggest you don't apply the update yourself as you could damage your reciever.

20. teddstarr

teddstarr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cybersoga,
    not sure what you mean when you say the 333 does not do 6.1,as it has got 7 channel amplification?????(i told you i was new at this!!

yours

teddstarr:confused: :confused:

21. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yes, your right, it does - not entirely sure what's the difference between the VA333 and the VA555 to be honest. I suggest you try Lord of the Rings SE in DTS ES, or Blade 2 in DTS ES and if it works you dont need the update.

22. I am maximus

I am maximus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I also have a VA555es amp which is currently having the firmware being upgraded at Sony I hope anyway.My thanks for posting the link to download the new firmware but i had already sent the amp off,I believe that VA 333 es is 5.1 plus two effects speakers.I hope this helps
    regards I am maximus

23. gerty

gerty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey , dont suppose you could help me out , seeing as you all sound like you know a lot more than me , lol , not too difficult ! , how do i find out if my sony 555 needs too be updated , i purchased about 2 months ago , wasnt aware of any probs , other than just managing too set it up lol

24. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Do you have any recent DVD's from New Line Cinema , such as Lord of the Rings Extended Edition, or Blade 2? The problem was that if you played the DTS ES tracks on these discs and have your amp set for 6.1, you will get no sound at all from any of the speakers. This is a problem that affects the STR-VA555ES that has software (firmware) version 1.4. You can check the version your AV reciever has by:-

press DOOR OPEN to open the door. rotate the knob to the left (yes the one under the door, that's why you opened it!) and you start getting technical information scrolling accross the display while you are turning it starting with >> STREAM= keep scrolling, and eventually it will display STR-VA555ES Ver 1.xx (like the picture above). If it says 1.4 yours needs updating, if it says 1.74 yours has the latest software.

If you want yours updated and you don't want to do it yourself, you'll have to get Sony to do it for you (good luck!).

25. gerty

gerty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep , i have 1.4 , will need a cable too download new s/ware , do you know of any good sites or pages which could help me with a:setting all the perameters up , and B: getting this d/load ? , many thanx , ps , i havent cracked under the strain of this damned gold menace lol , but am seeing the doctor next week if i dont get it sussed !

26. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    As i've said before, you shouldn't update the firmware unless you know what you are doing, you could damage your AV reciever. Contact your dealer who will arrange for it to be done for you.

27. gerty

gerty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx i will

28. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanx to everyone on these forums for the info on the Sony VA555ES. I too am having great stress trying to get hold of anyone who knows about this upgrade. Bought from Sevenoaks Sound and Vision in Bedford, and they are not being too helpful so far. Sony Europe have confirmed that an upgrade is available, AND gave me the download link (which now appears to be dead?)
    But are telling me upgrade MUST be done by a 'Authorised Sony Engineer' or guarentee is void.
    So, how to track down an Engineer, get him to come to my home address, and preform a upgrade he knows nuffin about......tough one eh?
    Think I'll just get a cable and go for it!!!!:)

29. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    For anyone who still needs the update, it's still there but they have removed the link (for some reason). You can find it here It's a self extracting zip file, read the enclosed PDF file before doing anything.

If Sony Europe are willing to show you where to download the file, you'd think they would make it available on their own website, perhaps with a disclaimer that says something like "use at your own risk, this will invalidate your warrenty, we will not be held responsible for etc"!

30. ysr

ysr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I downloaded the software and got a 9 pin null modem cable from Maplins, but when I try to update the software I get a message saying "unable to negotiate a connection".

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong. Alternativley if I have got the wrong cable where I may be able to obtain the correct one?

Regards

YSR