STR-DN1080 Replacement Time

[email protected]

First the display on my Sony SRT-DN1080 failed and now I have a crackle on one of the outputs (possibly two but I can't be sure). I suspect the solder used on my amp was a bad batch or just sub standard but in any event after a little over. 3 years, my amp is clearly on it's way out. Not the first time I have seen this on a Sony product and perhaps not unexpected

So looking around my eye was drawn to the Denon 2700H but I have just spotted the Yamaha V6A and must admit I have always had a soft spot for Yamaha kit over the years. Indeed my previous AV amp was a Yamaha and that's still going strong in my sons den.

On paper both of these look similar. My needs are simple (today) but my setup tends to grow and shrink with the seasons. So whilst my Sony was maxed out on inputs when I bought it, right now it just has an Apple TV and a YouView box connecting through to an LG OLED and a full array of Dali speakers. But if somebody launched a new bit of tech tomorrow, who knows how many connections I would be able to fill :)

So any thoughts about the Yamaha over the Denon or even anything else I may have missed but not another Sony please

dion 6

Hi I've got a Sony DN1080 as well and fingers crossed its still working ok at the moment the 2 avr's you mentioned would be the natural choice but at the moment the prices are over £600 and the Sony is more now than when I bought it. But if it's broken you can't wait

First the display on my Sony SRT-DN1080 failed and now I have a crackle on one of the outputs (possibly two but I can't be sure). I suspect the solder used on my amp was a bad batch or just sub standard but in any event after a little over. 3 years, my amp is clearly on it's way out. Not the first time I have seen this on a Sony product and perhaps not unexpected

So looking around my eye was drawn to the Denon 2700H but I have just spotted the Yamaha V6A and must admit I have always had a soft spot for Yamaha kit over the years. Indeed my previous AV amp was a Yamaha and that's still going strong in my sons den.

On paper both of these look similar. My needs are simple (today) but my setup tends to grow and shrink with the seasons. So whilst my Sony was maxed out on inputs when I bought it, right now it just has an Apple TV and a YouView box connecting through to an LG OLED and a full array of Dali speakers. But if somebody launched a new bit of tech tomorrow, who knows how many connections I would be able to fill :)

So any thoughts about the Yamaha over the Denon or even anything else I may have missed but not another Sony please
My first two AVRs were Sony, and both had issues with the HDMI board early on. Never again.

I have had the Denon X3700H for about 6 months and find it works well, don't know the Yamaha.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom