STR-DN1080 PS5 NO HDR Blu Ray Optoma UHD50

laser1972

Novice Member
Reaction score
So i have a new PS5, checked all the cables to make sure they are high speed, i connect the PS5 directly to the UHD50 projector, i get HDR in 4K when playing blu rays

When i connect the projector thru the STR_DN1080 and then use the PS5 on game setting (and its in enhanced mode), I don't get HDR in blu rays

Is there a work around?.. I get HDR on games, apple TV, Roku, etc... but on the PS5, HDR only in games, but disables when playing 4K blu rays

Thanks for any input... I thought maybe use the optical out of the projector into the receiver, but I do not think I would get Dolby Atmos?

The HDMI on the Sony must also be set to enhanced format for HDR from the PS5 (when in enhanced mode) to be passed through to the projector (when that too is in enhanced mode). The default on the Sony is standard format.

You will not get Atmos over optical.

Apparently, there are limitations on HDR for UHD replay on the PS5, depending on models and the like, and in some cases workarounds. After updating the firmware, try googling using the full details on your specific PS5 model.

The HDMI on the Sony must also be set to enhanced format for HDR from the PS5 (when in enhanced mode) to be passed through to the projector (when that too is in enhanced mode). The default on the Sony is standard format.

You will not get Atmos over optical.

Apparently, there are limitations on HDR for UHD replay on the PS5, depending on models and the like, and in some cases workarounds. After updating the firmware, try googling using the full details on your specific PS5 model.

The DN1080 is in enhanced mode and does have latest Firmware ,i get HDR on apple TV, Roku and games on the PS5..

Just not HDR in blu rays thru the PS5... I might try another 4K Hdr player to see if its maybe the Ps5 not liking my 2017 receiver but if i remember right, my Xbox One X wasn't producing 4K HDR on blu rays either..

What are a HDMI splitter than can split the hdmi signal from the PS5 into one Video and then one Audio inro receiver..?

Obe more option is to upgrade the receiver, bur I do like the Sony one... Too bad BOTH Sony's don't seem to wanna play nice..

So no optical for Atmos, well then I can get a great PIC but not the Atmos sound... I want both..LOL

Do you mean when your playing games? Only certain games have HDR as for the Atmos it’s only via HDMI I’m afraid not possible with Optical out,or do you mean when playing 4K discs or standard blu ray?

Do you mean when your playing games? Only certain games have HDR as for the Atmos it’s only via HDMI I’m afraid not possible with Optical out,or do you mean when playing 4K discs or standard blu ray?
Games are fine, its 4k blu raus, I think its a patch that Sony needs to do to make it work, maybe the next update will address the HDR problem... I hooked up my friends Xbox one S and it played 4k blu rays in HDR without any issues... Damn sony

Last edited:
Yea I would be getting it on the Xbox etc if it wasn’t in enhanced mode. I honestly think it’s a Sony thing. I’m out of optio s j til update

Have you got the enhanced mode on the STRN1080 hdmi setting? STR-DN1080 | Help Guide | Setting HDMI signal formats (HDMI Signal Format) also it will only play 4K Blu-ray in just HDR,no HDR10 or Dolby vision
]

The PS5 doesn't support Dolby Vision or HDR10+ anyway and would only give you static HDR10 HDR regardless of what variant the source was encoded with.

Also note that no games on the PS5 don't include Atmos and the console doesn't sipport Atmos on games. The only support for Atmos or DTS:X on the PS5 is if accessed via film UHD or HD Blu-ray discs. You'd have to specifically configure the audio output to a bitstream option relative to the playback of such discs in order to be able to access such audio.

]

The PS5 doesn't support Dolby Vision or HDR10+ anyway and would only give you static HDR10 HDR regardless of what variant the source was encoded with.

Also note that no games on the PS5 don't include Atmos and the console doesn't sipport Atmos on games. The only support for Atmos or DTS:X on the PS5 is if accessed via film UHD or HD Blu-ray discs. You'd have to specifically configure the audio output to a bitstream option relative to the playback of such discs in order to be able to access such audio.

My original post states that when the PS5 is connected to the projector directly, i get HDR, just not thru the receiver, so something is at fault with something, guessing the PS5, since everything else works, apple tv,, HDR, Xbox S HDR...

I am getting the Atmos just fine thru the ps5 while playing movies, not a problem..

Just to be clear

games are HDR on the PS5, just not on the 4k blu ray play back, the HDR logo does not come on and when i click on info on my projector, the HDR is grayed out..

Ill hold off on the PS5 update and see if that fixes it, if not, my xbox One S is doing the job

]

Yeah I know that,that’s why i got a separate 4K player which imo has much better playback the OP can’t figure out why he can’t get HDR on 4k discs I thought maybe it could be to do with not having enhanced mode on the STRDN1080

I can't comment on whether you'd have the same issue with other makes and or models pf AV receiver, but the console itself does handle and will outpit HDR10 if connected directly to a compliant display and if playing film discs that are encoded with HDR.

I connect my PS5 directly to my LG C9 as opposed to passing the video through my Yamaha RXA1080. This basically allows me to access 4K120Hz game video that cannot be passed through my AV receiver, but my TV is able to handle and portray. Both my TV and AV receiver are eARC enabled so I'm not limited to the audio I can access if passing it through the TV and out to the AV receiver using eARC.

I've never passed the PS5's video through my AV receiver so I cannot comment on whether the issue being discussed here is common to other models of AV receiver or not. It may even be an issue with the PJ not handshaking correctly as opposed to the AV receiver not playing ball?

Apart from ensuring that the AV receiver is set to its HDMI 4K Enhanced mode, also don't dismiss the cables you are using as these can also be at fault. This is especially the case if using partucularly long cables from an AV receiver to a PJ. 4K HDR video is particularly problematic because of the additional bandwidth it requires. The longer you cable from the AV receiver to the PJ then the greater the chances of experiencing issues. Attempting to test the cable by connecting the console directly to the PJ using that cable is by no means correct. THis will not indicate whether the cable is at fault. It has to work while connected to the AV receiver.

I'm sure you've investigated mosr of what this discusses, but here's an article on what measures to take in order to get HDR from your PS5:

Last edited:
Note that the following siggests that HDR can successfully be conveyed from a PS5, through and out of a Sony STRDN1080. THe resolution in this case was toset the AVR's 4K Mode to Enhanced:

If already set to enhanced then I'd suggest the issue is either with the cable or the projector?

I'd also ultimately suggest not using the PS5 as a UHD or HD Bly-ray player. I don't and wouldn't want to. It is an utter PITA to operate as such and I much prefer using my Panasonic DPUB820 to spin film discs via. :)

As an example of just how bad a disc player the PS5 console is, I grabbed a copy of Dune off my shelf to use as a test disc. The console simply reports that the disc isn't playable. Amazing given the fact it plays without issue on my Panasonic player.

Last edited:
For now, the Xbox is the HDR, since i got it cheap enough to play my 4K...
Not the cables, all are rated at 21 gbps (monster brand)...

I will just wait for any update Sony has on the PS5 and maybe it will work one day, but you are right, no reason to burn out that laser to play movies, just games for me.. (and VR2 when it comes out)

Thanks all!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom