STR-DN1080 and Ruipro 8k HDMI 2.1 Fiber Cable

netpez

Novice Member
Hey all,

I have a LG OLED CX being mounted on my stone fireplace, and I am coming up with a solution to run cables from behind the TV to my Sony STR-DN1080 (looking at the EchoGear power and cable management kit).

I am familiar with limitations of HDMI past 10 feet, and have been researching like crazy to find the right solution. I have decided upon using a Ruipro Fiber Optic HDMI cable. I do plan on upgrading my receiver in the semi near future, so I am looking at future proofing the HDMI cable I am running. It looks like the Ruipro 8K Fiber Optic HDMI 2.1 cable would be a good option.

RUIPRO 8K HDMI Fiber Optic Cable 15ft HDMI 2.1 48Gbps [email protected] [email protected] Dynamic HDR/eARC/HDCP 2.2 / 3D Slim Flexible Suitable for LG Samsung TCL Sony RTX 3080 3090 Xbox Series X PS5 PS4 Roku (5m):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081SDZZ14/

Has anybody tried using this cable with the STR-DN1080? And has anyone had any issues?

Thanks All

Hey all,

I have a LG OLED CX being mounted on my stone fireplace, and I am coming up with a solution to run cables from behind the TV to my Sony STR-DN1080 (looking at the EchoGear power and cable management kit).

I am familiar with limitations of HDMI past 10 feet, and have been researching like crazy to find the right solution. I have decided upon using a Ruipro Fiber Optic HDMI cable. I do plan on upgrading my receiver in the semi near future, so I am looking at future proofing the HDMI cable I am running. It looks like the Ruipro 8K Fiber Optic HDMI 2.1 cable would be a good option.

RUIPRO 8K HDMI Fiber Optic Cable 15ft HDMI 2.1 48Gbps [email protected] [email protected] Dynamic HDR/eARC/HDCP 2.2 / 3D Slim Flexible Suitable for LG Samsung TCL Sony RTX 3080 3090 Xbox Series X PS5 PS4 Roku (5m):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081SDZZ14/

Has anybody tried using this cable with the STR-DN1080? And has anyone had any issues?

Thanks All
There is no reason that it wouldn't work with any particular make of AVR. The only issue as you say is length of cable, and 15ft with the fibre cable should be a doddle - you might even get away with a normal premium high speed cable for that distance, although it would be stretching it a bit so not recommended.

gibbsy

@netpez I've moved your question here as it is specific to a cable.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Cable way - ensure you create a way to easily replace the cable as they can fail, be damaged or become obsolete.

Connectivity - depending on your gaming prowess you may want to think about connecting your Source(s) direct to the TV then use eARC between the TV and AVR for audio.

Some of the features of next gen gaming consoles are potentially better suited to Source > TV > AVR rather than Source > AVR > TV.

Joe

netpez

Novice Member
There is no reason that it wouldn't work with any particular make of AVR. The only issue as you say is length of cable, and 15ft with the fibre cable should be a doddle - you might even get away with a normal premium high speed cable for that distance, although it would be stretching it a bit so not recommended.
That is why I went ahead and spent the money on the fiber... because I am aware of limitations of the copper based ones at that length

@netpez I've moved your question here as it is specific to a cable.
Thank you!

Cable way - ensure you create a way to easily replace the cable as they can fail, be damaged or become obsolete.

Connectivity - depending on your gaming prowess you may want to think about connecting your Source(s) direct to the TV then use eARC between the TV and AVR for audio.

Some of the features of next gen gaming consoles are potentially better suited to Source > TV > AVR rather than Source > AVR > TV.

Joe

I plan on plugging the new xbox x directly to tv... this fiber cable is for eARC to eARC on the TV and receiver for other sources.

Otto Pylot

The EchoGear cable management is a good idea but the cable behind it in the wall should be installed in a conduit. Cables will fail and, more than likely, need to be upgraded as video standards become more demanding so you need to have a plan in place to safely and easily replace your cables when the time comes because you will. Conduit is the ONLY way to future proof your cabling.

If it were me, and you want to use the Ruipro 8k, Gen-3C cable, then you might want to wait a month or so because Ruipro will be releasing their new 8k, Gen-3C cable that has a CL2 rating and is ATC certified (QR label) for the HDMI 2.1 option sets. The other cable iterations have been tested in-house for the HDMI 2.1 option sets but this will be the first Ruipro cable that has been certified by HDMI LA, which requires very stringent and rigorous testing. Keep in mind that certification does not guarantee compatibility with all devices and setup. Ruipro has also been working on the issues between 3080/3090 cards and the CX that has plagued SOME owners.

With regards to copper-based cables, there are passive, ATC certified, UHS HDMI cables that work very well for the HDMI 2.1 options sets up to the 16' maximum. Zeskit and Ruipro both offer UHS HDMI cables. The downside is that they are stiff due to wire gauge so bend radius and HDMI port strain is a consideration.

The most reliable connection is a single cable, source to sink, with no wall plates, extenders, adapters, etc in-between. This is especially true for active cables. Be very mindful of bend radius (sharp, 90º bends) as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom