STR-DN1080 adding atmos up-firing

anubis68

Standard Member
20220107_203409.jpg

This is the set up I have at the moment and was looking at getting a pair of atmos upfiring. My question is which speakers would I have to loose? Many thanks

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I assume the picture shows you have 7.1 system now. You would disconnect surround backs which are basically useless to you anyway as you don´t have 0,5-1m space behind listeners. I would use the Eltax bipole speakers connected in surround l/r terminals assuming you can have them close to seated ear height as you don´t want the surround speaker effects coming too high = atmos will be more effective. The speakers are so darn close to listeners that bipole type should work better than normal direct radiating speakers, but of course up to you as there is always personal preferences.

PS. Do you meet these for the atmos in mind? For optimal performance, the ceiling should be flat (not angled or vaulted), with a height of 14 feet (4.27 meters) or less, and made of an acoustically reflective material (drywall, plaster, hardwood, or another rigid, non–sound-absorbing material).

anubis68

Standard Member
Thats what i have at the moment. So i will have to do away with the 2 just above the sofa and bring the eltax down to ear height and put the up firing in the eltax place or sort of same ? Sorry it takes me a bit of time to process things due to my autism
20220108_105348.jpg

gibbsy

You will have to lose what are currently your rear surrounds. Bring the larger speakers down so that they just miss the top of the sofa. Your getting no good results from running 7.1 as both surrounds and rear surrounds are on the same vertical axis giving you in effect a 5.1 anyway. Adding Atmos will improve your soundstage.

As for upfiring they should be placed on top of or as near as possible to front left and right. Run room calibration and set crossover to at least 120hz and increase the levels post calibration to +2dB or +3dB.

anubis68

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies just one more thing I don't have room to put upfiring on top of speakers would they be to high if I put them above the TV
20220108_193940.jpg

Many thanks

gibbsy

would they be to high if I put them above the TV
Yes. They must not be set any higher than 50% of the height of the ceiling, so putting them above the TV isn't advised. Most of the current upfiring speakers also come with key hole fittings so that they can be placed high on the front wall. The inbuilt angle will direct the audio to your main listening position.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies just one more thing I don't have room to put upfiring on top of speakers would they be to high if I put them above the TV
View attachment 1632555
Many thanks

You would get bigger bang for buck upgrading front three to something more capable over atmos route. But you are quite tight on space at the front so would need to make changes and we can`t see the whole front room what is possible. For atmos the upfiring and front heights doesn´t seem to work. On-ceiling speakers = small speakers mounted on ceiling and hiding wires with trunking is one option, but not sure if possible.

anubis68

Standard Member
Thanks for all the input a bit tight on money so can't afford to change out the speakers. I saw a pair of onkyo 410 for £50. Had a thought of putting brackets on the side of the breast just above the speakers. Would this work or do the back of the speaker need to be in a solid wall?
20220109_122511.jpg

Btw thats the best photo i can get of the whole room

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Those Onkyos are the first gen Atmos speakers and they are quite poor if you search. I would rather buy the Richer Sounds cheap ones which has lot of good buyers reviews. But i`m not sure how you would mount em.

Edit. All reviews gone after site upgrade it seems.. Hmph.

Last edited:

anubis68

Standard Member
Those Onkyos are the first gen Atmos speakers and they are quite poor if you search. I would rather buy the Richer Sounds cheap ones which has lot of good buyers reviews. But i`m not sure how you would mount em.

Edit. All reviews gone after site upgrade it seems.. Hmph.
They have some good reviews thanks.
Would they work if on the side as in they photo?
Sorry if I'm being a pain.

Attachments

• 20220109_130414.jpg
    20220109_130414.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 11

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I have no idea. :( Don`t know is there some return period. You could try them first using some DIY trick that is not final (no holes on walls). People have sometimes too big expectations for the upfiring bouncers and then there is some disappointment.. So don´t wait for a night and day difference.

gibbsy

If you haven't bought the Onkyos then walk away from them, they are poor.

anubis68

Standard Member
20220113_192251.jpg

Would I get better sound if after moving the eltax down to head height would I be able to place the lower ones where the arrow is or will they be to high? And need to be at head height

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom