Question STR-DN1060 - remote wake?

twistsouth

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey, first post! I just picked up my first AV Receiver (Sony STR-DN1060). I'm a bit confused about how to wake the thing from standby "on demand". For example, is it possible for it to advertise as a Spotify Connect or Airplay device and then be woken when the device tries to connect? It seems to have settings for Remote Start and Bluetooth Standby but whatever I try, it won't wake up without pushing one of the physical ON buttons!

Anyone know if this is possible and how?

Cheers!

Hi, I have the DN860 same as your AV but less functions.
Not 100% how devices connect but I have tested using
  1. Select [Setup] - [Network Settings] from the home menu.
  2. Select [Remote Start].
  3. Set to [On] or [Off].
    =====With that setting on I can use Songpal (a sony app) via iphone to turn on device if it is in standby and make it choose the input etc etc. If you are doing something different please describe.

Awesome thanks - I tried once more last night to get it to work and I managed to get exactly what you described to work. I think I previously thought it wasn't working because it does seem to take a while (20+ seconds or so) for the receiver to "wake" once you send the connect request via the app.

So that's ok but it's kind of annoying to have to go into the SongPal app (what a ridiculous name for an app..) to wake the receiver for Spotify. Is there no way to have the receiver permanently advertise itself as a Spotify Connect service so that when you select it in the Spotify app, *that* is what causes the receiver to wake up? That would be awesome. I don't see why it's no possible. What happens though is that it does advertise itself as a Spotify Connect service while in standby, but when Spotify tries to connect, it doesn't respond, it seems to time out.

Is this something to do with the Bluetooth Standby? That seems to imply that bluetooth devices can wake it. Do you perhaps need to configure the phone as an authorised device or something?

Just looked that up......never messed with this but have a play....oh by the way there is a new software update.

MULTI CHANNEL AV RECEIVER STR-DN1060/STR-DN860

You can set the Bluetooth Standby mode so that the receiver can be controlled by a BLUETOOTH device even when the receiver is in standby mode.

1. Select [Setup] - [Bluetooth Settings] from the home menu.
  2. Select [Bluetooth Standby].
  3. Select [On] or [Off].
    • On: You can turn on the receiver from a BLUETOOTH device.
    • Off

Note
  • If a previously paired device is paired when the receiver is in standby mode, the
    AS0000056102_LN0000000002
    (on/standby) indicator on the front panel lights up in amber if [Bluetooth Standby] is set to [On].
  • This function works only when [Bluetooth Mode] is set to [Receiver] or [Transmitter].
  • If you set [Quick Start/Network Standby] to [On] and [Bluetooth Standby] to [On], the receiver turns on when you establish a BLUETOOTH connection from a BLUETOOTH device. (For USA, Canadian and Asia-Pacific models only)

Just updated mine to latest release.

Download is in this place
Tool about 25 minutes via USB, mine is connected via WiFi and only works on Ethernet.

About this download

Updating is simple and with the newest firmware version, you can get even more from your AV Receiver

• Name: AV receiver firmware to version M29.R.0422
  • Date released: 14/09/2016
  • Benefits and improvements:
    • Added Functions for Google Cast for Audio
      • Supports Google Multi-room function
  • Restrictions: only for use with AV Receiver sold in Europe. Not all models are sold in all countries

Last edited:
Yeah I updated to this as soon as I set the unit up. I'll keep an eye on this, it might eventually get the functionality I want!

Hey, first post! I just picked up my first AV Receiver (Sony STR-DN1060). I'm a bit confused about how to wake the thing from standby "on demand". For example, is it possible for it to advertise as a Spotify Connect or Airplay device and then be woken when the device tries to connect? It seems to have setting for Remote Start and Bluetooth Standby but whatever I try, it won't wake up without pushing one of the physical ON buttons!

Anyone know if this is possible and how?

Cheers!

Help Guide | The receiver cannot be turned on by devices on a network.

This is a pain. And why? Network Standby was on my old STR-DN1040, and its on the 1060 in the US. It was also on an earlier UK Firmware I believe, but taken off later. I read that some guy got a Sony Centre to put the old firmware back on, but presumably you would then lose Apps and other later enhancements. I wasted days trying to get it to work.

I have found though that 80% of the time (not 100%) , with the 1060 in standby (with amber standby led on - Settings-Network Settings-Remote Start 'On'), it will 'wake up' from Spotify Premium (Spotify Free does not cast) on my LG G3 mobile. This gives options in the Spotify phone App to play on available devices, i.e. the phone itself, the 65KS9000, or the STR-DN1060, even though the SongPal App itself won't start up on the LG G3. The trouble is, if the 1060 is in standby, the wifi & bluetooth symbols do not light up in the SongPal App, as it is not connected , so the main SongPal screen giving the options for Spotify and other Apps etc, is not available.
Once the 1060 is on, then SongPal will show wifi connected (I don't use Bluetooth but do have it paired and on standby in settings) and the App will now fully run

Capture.JPG

I'm not too sure but the connecting app will need to send the "Wake up command" and the receiver must be setup to accept WakeOnLan.

Sadly there's no provision for this. The only menu options are Network Remote Start 'On' and Bluetooth Standby 'On' so you would think it should work, but it doesn't unfortunately. Took me quite a while to find this out.
Older Sony STR_DN models had Network Standby as a settings menu option and this did work ok. I used it for switching on music from my NAS via Twonky with either of the Sony Apps, Network Audio Remote (also showed the Album Art) and also Video & TV SideView, but these were always a bit buggy, despite app updates

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom