STR-DN1060 - advice on zone 2 set up & operation

Jake M

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hoping for some advice from people in the known about the Sony STR-DN1060 av receiver.

I have the Sony STR-DN1060 receiver loctated in my 1st floor tv room, hooked up to a 5.1 speaker setup and connected to the internet/home network. I'm a relative amateur in that I simply use it for streaming, watching movies or playing PS4, have not tried to wirelessly play spotify from my phone etc, but aware that it should be able to do this.

We're planning a ground floor kitchen extension and as part of this I would like to include ceiling speakers connected to the receiver, as a Zone 2. Considering the Monitor Audio CP-CT380IDC (x2) for the kitchen ceiling.

Couple queries I have:

1. If I create zone 2 as the 2 kitchen ceiling speakers, would I be able to remotely (using iphone) turn on, adjust volume, turn off etc. the STR-DN 1060 from the kitchen, and play music (streamed on spotify) through the 2 ceiling speakers that form zone 2? If I would have to go into the 1st floor tv room to turn the unit 'On' and select zone 2 via the remote control then this would not work and I'll have to buy a new av reciever for the kitchen set-up.

2. if #1above is possible, how I would I do this? Google tells me I can set-up and then for future use, select, the zone via the Spotify app? If it's as simple as open spotify app, select zone 2 (which then streams the music to the receiver via my home WIFI, and out through zone 2), hit play and it comes through the ceiling speakers, then perfect!

3. Does the STR-DN1060 allow zone 2 to be a 2.1 zone? I.e. could I use the 2nd subwoofer port for a zone 2 sub? The user manual doesn't show this as an option.

I'm just not clear on the functionality of zone 2 and how independent this can be from the main zone, and how to control it when remote from the room that the reciever is located. If the reciever can do all of this, it'll be a geat cost saving(and fully utilising the reciever!) which would be great.

Thanks!
J

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom