STR DN-1080 Vs AVRX3500 Advice / Opinions...

Bellur

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,
I have a bit of a dilemma. I currently have an old Samsung tv (40” LCD) and Onkyo 515 AVR with Monitor Audio Silver RX 5.1 set up. I’m going to be upgrading the tv for an LG B9 (55”) and so I’d like to upgrade the AVR to accommodate the 4k capabilities of the tv. I currently have Virgin Media V6 box (may go back to SkyQ) and Firestick (4K). I mainly watch movies (Netflix, Amazon, Virgin etc) and sport. I also like listening to music on the system and will generally play music through the system if I’m in another room doing something. Future plan I may add a PS4 but it isn’t high on my priority list. At some point I may like to try out Atmos but at the minute I am happy with the sound from the 5.1 set up so again it currently isn’t high on my priority list (as it stands haven’t heard an Atmos set up).
So doing some research initially the Sony STR DN-1080 seemed to fit the bill. However now it seems that for £100 more I could go for the Denon AVRX3500 which reading through the forums gets great reviews also. At the same point if I don’t need to then there is little point in paying the extra. I tend to like to ‘future proof’ as much is feasibly possible (had current TV and AVR for circa 6 years).
I’m very torn between the two and each seems to suit the bill as it were. I guess I’d just like to know if Im overlooking anything and also hear any further opinions or thoughts.
Thanks in advance

Bump. Hoping to avail of current prices, just pickled and un decided at the minute.
Thanks.

Out of the two, I would definitely go for the Denon. This is based on having owned Denon and Sony AVR's previously, and general reviews and reputations of those two models.

However, for better music performance, you could go for a Marantz instead.

The Denon X3500 is a tier above the Sony and has a superior room correction system in Audyssey XT32. You fully implement the DTS:X formats in the Denon unlike the problematic Sony, certainly a consideration with 5.1.2 in mind.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom