• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

STR DH800 for music?

Michael1981

Standard Member
Hi,
Ive got a DH800 for my surround sound with some harmon kardon speakers. With this set up give me good sound for music too? Do I need to but a seperate piece of hard ware for my music or can I link up my laptop to play mp3? I tryed linking my laptop up via HDMI in HDMI port2 on my amp but I cant get and sound through. Anyone any ideas what to do? Thanks.

mattlow93

Standard Member
Hi,

you'll need to buy a phono to 3.5mm jack,

an example (though I wouldn't buy from Maplin! It's worth paying about £10 and getting one that won't fall to bits. The wires in cheap audio cables can disintigrate after being flexed.)

Plug into the CD input on the receiver (or similar), and mess around with the settings so that you can get sound from the cable through all speakers, not just the front two.

Hope this helps

Michael1981

Standard Member
Does this mean I can use my laptop as a player? Why cant I get sound by using my HDMI lead? I did it one when I first bought the amp by mistake and havnt been able to do it ever since.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
It depends on the specs of the graphics card (GPU). HDMI on PC's is relatively new and not all HDMI equipped graphics cards support audio output. The PC forums are your best bet. Make sure you post as much information as you can as remember not all PC's are the same.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hi,
Ive got a DH800 for my surround sound with some harmon kardon speakers. With this set up give me good sound for music too? Do I need to but a seperate piece of hard ware for my music or can I link up my laptop to play mp3? I tryed linking my laptop up via HDMI in HDMI port2 on my amp but I cant get and sound through. Anyone any ideas what to do? Thanks.

I'd not rate the STRDH800 as being a particularly musical amp and the HK speakers are not the best you can use in conjunction with it. The Sony amps have a clinical nature and can be regarded as being bright, especially if used to power clinical speakers. The HK speakers are clinical and will give rise to sibilance if used with a clinical amp such as the STRDH800.

It may be that your computer's HDMI interface soes not have the ability to stream audio? Try a different audio interface between your PC and the receiver.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom