STR-DH790 ARC issue

Richey

Novice Member
Hi all, newbie here, be gentle.
I've recently bought a Sony STR-DH790 from Richer sounds, I also bought two QED 4k HDMI cables at the same time. It's connected to a Samsung VE55RU7100KXXU TV. Also connected is an old recordable Freeview box, a Sony Bluray player and a PS5. The freeview box and bluray are plugged straight in to the back of the receiver. The PS5 is connected directly to the TV via HDMI. Then I have one of the new cables from the ARC port on the TV to the ARC port on the receiver (this TV doesn't support eARC). About once a week I get a message pop up in the corner of the TV saying "Your audio device is connected to a port that does not support ARC, please connect your device to the HDMI 3 (ARC) port" then the TV defaults to it's own speakers. Obviously it is plugged in to the correct port. Yet the next day it'll be fine.
If I plug the PS5 directly in to the receiver I still sometimes get the message come up but the sound is fine, but connected this way I then lose 4K/HDR. It says in the PS5 4K display settings menu something like "your equipment doesn't support this".
I'm no expert but I'm at a loss as to why this is happening.

gibbsy

It's more than likely a handshake problem over HDMI. As neither are eARC you are still only getting SD audio to a maximum of DD 5.1 back to the Sony. I would use an optical cable between the two devices are this will prove far more stable and you still get the same audio.

Upvote 0

Richey

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply. I have connected a optical cable, and all's well so far.
Would another HDMI cable possibly cure this issue?

Upvote 0

gibbsy

Thanks for the reply. I have connected a optical cable, and all's well so far.
Would another HDMI cable possibly cure this issue?
It may, it may not. It's the fact that different manufacturers impliment ARC in different ways and in some cases they just won't hold a good conversation between each other. I've long given up with ARC between my Denon AV amp and Panasonic TV. Sometimes it worked, more often it didn't, yet others have had a good ride.

eARC is said to improve connection and usability but it seems even then some manufacturers are giving problems. If you have an Atmos set up then you would lose Atmos from any of the TV's apps, if you don't have Atmos I'd certainly go for optical as you won't lose any quality at all.

Upvote 0

Richey

Novice Member
It may, it may not. It's the fact that different manufacturers impliment ARC in different ways and in some cases they just won't hold a good conversation between each other. I've long given up with ARC between my Denon AV amp and Panasonic TV. Sometimes it worked, more often it didn't, yet others have had a good ride.

eARC is said to improve connection and usability but it seems even then some manufacturers are giving problems. If you have an Atmos set up then you would lose Atmos from any of the TV's apps, if you don't have Atmos I'd certainly go for optical as you won't lose any quality at all.
Thanks again. Kinda glad it's a common problem and there's nothing broken in my setup. No I haven't got Atmos. I'm only running 5.0 as I haven't got an active sub as yet. That's the next thing on the list to get. 👍👍

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom