• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Str-dh520 only plays LPCM

smeesmay

Standard Member
I have a str-dh520. This seems to be a MAJOR issue with this line of Sony. I have a ps3 xbox 360 and blu-ray hooked hdmi to unit. When I have all connections made and get everything checked it works like a dream...sees dts, dd 5.1 etc. Then I set the unit to HD-D.C.s & thats when my issue happens. I turn everything off and upon turning everything back on...it only reads LPCM 48kz from every HDMI input. Been having it out with Sony; they're trying to say its a defective unit but it looks as though they did not fully test this unit in the slightest and it just won't do what it should. WE NEED TO UNITE AGAINST SONY TO FIX THIS ISSUE. These are brand new "quality" receivers and this should be a base feature.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Firstly, you can only unite with people if they too are having the same issue and this doesn't appear to be the case?

Secondly, you don't give enough detail for anyone to make any kind of conclusion as to what is going wrong.

Ever thought that you may be the one making the errors and not Sony? For a start, you don't turn HD decoding on, it comes on automatically when HD formats are present so "Then I set the unit to HD-D.C.s & thats when my issue happens" makes little if any sense. The XBox doesn't output HD audio anyway and is limited to the SD digital formats. Both your PS3 and your Blu-ray player must be correctly configured in order for them to output (bitstream) HD audio.

Last edited:

smeesmay

Standard Member
ok well more info: All hooked up via HDMI. And I believe that 5.1 Dolby Digital qualifies as HD (its being put out by XBOX) but reguardless, yet everything is correct. Bitstream from blu, PS3 maxed with all settings checked, and XBOX DD5.1. The thing is that when the TV is on and amp in in tv mode everything works great. And switching straight from this mode over to XBOX it also works perfect, recognized DD 5.1 and all. Its when I try to just turn on receiver straight to ANY HDMI hookup the receiver only sees LPCM 48kz reguardless of settings on any device. AND i bet people will unite, look at the release date of this product, not even a month, I am just one of the 1st to realize what this unit is doing (or not actually doing that is causing the problems). I had to create a whole new thread for a whole new unit. Sony tech cannot even help.

The HD-D.C.S. is Sony's top of the line Digital Decoding codec sony uses to make the digital signals Dynamic, Theater or Studio....btw it works just fine with all inputs...until unit is shut down and brought back up. THis isn't my first tango in home audio....

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
ok well more info: All hooked up via HDMI. And I believe that 5.1 Dolby Digital qualifies as HD

No, Dolby Digital 5.1 is not HD audio. You should read this for clarification of what HD audio is:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-a...06-attempt-explain-high-definition-audio.html

Dolby Digital is not a mode you switch on, it has to be encoded into the material you are playing. The digital discrete formats only show up on the amp's display when those formats are present and the material being streamed to the amp is encoded with them. What are you playing that you expect to have these encodings? Your PS3, XBox and Blu-ray player only output these formats when you play discs that are encoded with them and the devices themselves do not output these formats unless you play material via them that is encoded with the formats!

Last edited:

smeesmay

Standard Member
very good, that fixed my entire problem. I am looking for help, not clarification on SD vs HD signals.

Here is exactly what my problem boils down too:
An HDMI connected device will show and play DTS, 7.1 LPCM etc just fine. Turn the receiver off and back on, now it will only show LPCM 2 channel 48 stereo. THAT IS A SONY ISSUE. THERE IS NO WRONG WAY TO HOOK UP ONE WIRE. Is there a forum for that?

When working properly, the XBOX menu itself is encoded and output via the receiver's display in 5.1 DD. Turn off only receiver and then back on....same menu now only LPCM and all games the same. WIll work 5.1 then when unit is turned back on (pausing game and just switching receiver on and off...) it says LPCM 48kz. I see a Major issue here. Its downmixing the audio upon restarting, even though receiver is in straight AMP mode, not AMP+TV mode

Last edited:

smeesmay

Standard Member
sorry dante not meaning to sound rude, been on and off phone with 7 different techs from Sony, none can figure why its not working....

dante01

Distinguished Member
Pause a game or a film and no audio is being streamed. Sorry, but you need to understand what it is you are doing before blaming Sony. If you pause a disc then no audio is being streamed and no discrete format will be detected by your amp.

Good luck with the class action.

By the way, if this only happens with the XBox it should be noted that the XBox is well documented as having issues streaming multichannel audio via HDMI. The issue you are having sounds very much like the issue relating to the XBox. This is an XBox fault and can only be rectified by using an optical audio connection rather than HDMI.

Last edited:

smeesmay

Standard Member
I know this...its when the unit comes back on, the game unpaused, gunfire commencing, sound way lower and stereo. THATS A PROBLEM. Are you hear to critize or help a fellow audio enthuist. I figured its a givin i would commence sound, the unit will not even show what type of audio being output is unless there is sound.

smeesmay

Standard Member
just saw the rest of your post. the optical cable sounds like a good idea. will add it tonight, but I'll be checking my blu-ray player thoroughly to make sure it was an XBOX streaming problem and not an entire receiver problem. That last post was helpful. Thank you

smeesmay

Standard Member
it was an xbox issue. Hooked the xbox up directly via optical cable and all is well, although sometimes in blu ray mode, when 1st starting unit it will output to AMP +TV so it downmixes the audio to stereo, but I just set it straight to AMP in menu and it works fine, don;t know why this setting just gets reset sometimes....but the receiver is awesome and definately worth the price.

numanoid

I went to set this same amp up for a friend last night. NIGHTMARE. Worked. Then switch off didnt work. Blamed it on the cables after many hours, wasnt that. Was indeed the AMP and AMP + TV setting. Tho it still randomly changes. I know this is a budget amp, but still dont expect this.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Try turning CEC HDMI control off on both the TV and the amp. It could be the HDMI control that is switching the audio passthrough on and off?

numanoid

I will give it a shot next time im down there. Hopefully can nail it as would be a shame and effort over xmas to box up and send back. Cheers for info

smeesmay

Standard Member
It still happens to mine nearly a year later. Ive figured out if you turn the tv on prior to the amp, the amp senses (even though already set to amp only and HDMI CEC OFF) the tv is on and sets the output to AMP+TV. just turn on the amp prior to tv and you are golden.

stephen newport

Standard Member
Hello all

Dont know if any one can help, i have just bought a sony STR-DH520, i have an only samsung 40" tv (720p) and Sky+HD and a toshiba 2000 blueray player.

Took a while but i now have blue rays playing is HD sound, but i cannt it DD from the Sky+HD i know it is out putting it as my old DD amp worked well with it (via optical cable)

Does any one know what i am going wrong i can only get it to do LPCM and DD

Thank you
Stephen

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
Have you set the amp up to accept the audio from the optical else it will use the hdmi if you have that to the amp.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
The Sky boxes can only emit DD 5.1 over optical, not over HDMI. You must use an optical cable, configure the Sky box to use it and the receiver to accept its audio over it. Blame Sky for the silliness.

stephen newport

Standard Member
Thank you Scott and Mark

I spent a while last night playing with and managed to get DD5.1 from sky over optical as i couldnt get it to work over HDMI. Thank you for confirming that it wasnt me it was the hardware that was giving me greif

Thank you
Stephen

viking40601

Standard Member
It still happens to mine nearly a year later. Ive figured out if you turn the tv on prior to the amp, the amp senses (even though already set to amp only and HDMI CEC OFF) the tv is on and sets the output to AMP+TV. just turn on the amp prior to tv and you are golden.

Just got my STR-DH520 last week and was having the same problem. I've been manually resetting to to AMP only, so this will be a big help!

andysnowboard

Standard Member
Thank you Scott and Mark

I spent a while last night playing with and managed to get DD5.1 from sky over optical as i couldnt get it to work over HDMI. Thank you for confirming that it wasnt me it was the hardware that was giving me greif

Thank you
Stephen

any chance you can let me know how you have done this? ive spent hours trying to sort it out, been on and off the phone to sky and still havent got anywhere?!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom