STR-DG510 Receiver + PS3: audio trouble

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Thomas421, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Thomas421

Thomas421

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, I've been following this forum for a few weeks now, this is my first post.
    And.. I need a hand :)

I just bought a Sony STR DG510 Multi Channel receiver as a surround system for my PS3.

But I've got the following problem:
    I just discovered, and that's something the store didn't tell me:
    the 510's HDMI ports only support video input (which it then send trough a hdmi output to my HP Display (sorry no money for a real TV, but my 24" HP W2408 will do for now). In other words, no audio input via the HDMI port, something I had hoped for..

So.. how do I connect my audio?
    this is the backside of the system:
    www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/SonyStyleStorefrontAssetStore/img/products/STRDG510_rearpanel.jpg

At the moment I use (as a temporary solution) the component (red white) for audio-output and the HDMI is directly connected to the display so the video signal doesn't pass trough the DD510.
    Video-wise, no problems, but that doesn't give me the surround I bought the system for, only a (although very good) stereo sound.

So 2 questions:
    1) (cheap solution) is there a way to use HDMI for audio input with this device that I don't know of?
    2) (means going to the store again) if I buy myself a decent optical audio cable and connect it to the 'optical out' on the PS3 and the 'optical Video 2/BD In' on the DG510 it should work, right?
    The DG510 then sends the video trough the HDMIports to my display. And if I set the audio output of the PS3 to Optical Out, I get surround sound too.
    Correct mme if I'm wrong please ;)

Thanks in advance

Thomas

And as an extra bonus question:
    if anyone knows what the best setup options are audio-wise on both device, it'll help A LOT
    thanks

2. rEVILospud

rEVILospud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    As you say, all you need is an optical cable; you don't need a 'decent one', they are all the same over short runs.
    Something like this will do you just fine.

3. Thomas421

Thomas421

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just the confirmation I needed

thanks!