STR DG 710 or STR DG 910 - please help me decide on one.

P

petelechem

Hi everyone,

as you can see i'm new here, read a lot of articles on the forums before but never posted anything.

I currently have an old Sony DAV-S800 home cinema system, however, the left audio seems to have broken so I feel it's now due for an upgrade.

Other equipment I have is as follows:

TV: Philips 26PF5321 1080i
Games Consoles: Nintendo Wii w/ component cable. Xbox 360 Elite HDMI(Well I will have when they're released on Friday)

I also have a standard sky+ box with the SCART and optical audio out.

I would also want to input PC audio for music playback from iTunes.

I have looked at both receivers from the title of the post and STF on articles regarding them, but not been able to find answers to a few questions I have.

Ok, here goes:

1) If I was to use the Xbox 360 Elite as a DVD player, I believe it upscales DVD output to 1080i/p, due to the fact upscaling happens on the xbox will both receivers pass the DVD output through to my TV at 1080i(TV max res). As I believe that upscaling is not a feature of the reciever, but just wanted to check if they would pass through, if upscaled at source

2) I have read a few posts that seem to conflict with each other about if the audio in from HDMI will be pushed through the amp's speakers and also to the HDMI output. Just wanted confirmation of which is correct, the Sony website says both are 'HDMI repeater' (if that is relevant), but i got a little confused by thier description.

3) As I currently have my DAV-S800, I was wonder (due to only being able to upgrade a few bits at a time), whether it was possible to you my speakers from this system as a stop-gap measure before being able to upgrade the speakers too? Looking at photos of the back panel, it looks as if i would need to find another subwoofer for this due to the subwoofer outs being coaxial on these amps and just the standard 2 wires on the DAV-S800. On a side note, any recommendations on speakers to purchase would be gratefully received.

4) Will all A/V in be output through the HDMI out, e.g if I have a component and composite source imputting to the receiver, audio and video from these will output via the HDMI output when each respective source if selected?

5) looking at the back panels of each amp I got confused, the component in shows the 3 video in connectors. which input would the Audio connectors for the component source need to go? If I connect to V1 in does it have to go the the V1 in Audio and leave the composite video connector empty?

Ok, think thats it for now, thanks in advance.

will get back with more questions no doubt once I have a few more things to think about :)

chic

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone,

as you can see i'm new here, read a lot of articles on the forums before but never posted anything.

I currently have an old Sony DAV-S800 home cinema system, however, the left audio seems to have broken so I feel it's now due for an upgrade.

Other equipment I have is as follows:

TV: Philips 26PF5321 1080i
Games Consoles: Nintendo Wii w/ component cable. Xbox 360 Elite HDMI(Well I will have when they're released on Friday)

I also have a standard sky+ box with the SCART and optical audio out.

I would also want to input PC audio for music playback from iTunes.

I have looked at both receivers from the title of the post and STF on articles regarding them, but not been able to find answers to a few questions I have.

Ok, here goes:

1) If I was to use the Xbox 360 Elite as a DVD player, I believe it upscales DVD output to 1080i/p, due to the fact upscaling happens on the xbox will both receivers pass the DVD output through to my TV at 1080i(TV max res). As I believe that upscaling is not a feature of the reciever, but just wanted to check if they would pass through, if upscaled at source

2) I have read a few posts that seem to conflict with each other about if the audio in from HDMI will be pushed through the amp's speakers and also to the HDMI output. Just wanted confirmation of which is correct, the Sony website says both are 'HDMI repeater' (if that is relevant), but i got a little confused by thier description.

3) As I currently have my DAV-S800, I was wonder (due to only being able to upgrade a few bits at a time), whether it was possible to you my speakers from this system as a stop-gap measure before being able to upgrade the speakers too? Looking at photos of the back panel, it looks as if i would need to find another subwoofer for this due to the subwoofer outs being coaxial on these amps and just the standard 2 wires on the DAV-S800. On a side note, any recommendations on speakers to purchase would be gratefully received.

4) Will all A/V in be output through the HDMI out, e.g if I have a component and composite source imputting to the receiver, audio and video from these will output via the HDMI output when each respective source if selected?

5) looking at the back panels of each amp I got confused, the component in shows the 3 video in connectors. which input would the Audio connectors for the component source need to go? If I connect to V1 in does it have to go the the V1 in Audio and leave the composite video connector empty?

Ok, think thats it for now, thanks in advance.

will get back with more questions no doubt once I have a few more things to think about :)

1)i know the 910 will pass through no problem dont know about the 710.

2)the 710 wont take the audio over hdmi , the 910 will pass audio over hdmi and will allow you to listen to uncompressed audio as well.

3)i would upgrade the speakers, richer sounds have some good speaker packages available.

4) yes it will, all sources will be outputed with one hdmi cable.

5) its best to do that, but i think you can assign the audio to what video input you want, i have the 910 and there are 3 hdmi inputs labelled video2,sat,dvd and 3 component labelled video1,sat,dvd, the optical input are labelled video2,sat,video1 and the coax inputs are labelled dvd and sacd. With your set up i would put the optical from the sky+ to the optical input labelled sat, for the wii plug the component into the component labelled video 1 and the rca phonos int the corressponding input, for the 360 elite i would plug the hdmi into the hdmi labelled video 2 and the optical cable labelled video 2(the elite only sends stereo over hdmi so if yoy want 5.1 you will need to connect an optical cable as well)

P

petelechem

Thanks Chic, that's a great response :)

Going to go for the 910 then, just to make sure it all works as I want and also the extra inputs for future expansion.

I didn't realise the xbox only sent stereo audio over the HDMI, that's kinda silly isn't it?

I was also thinking, something that i totally forgot, the 360 doesn't support multi-region playback of standard DVDs. Does anyone know if theres a way around this or will I have to get a seperate DVD player? If so, should I go for a HD-DVD player that supports multi-region playback of standard DVD format too, not sure if they exist. Any recommendations would be great.

Would a HD-DVD player connected by HDMI pass audi to the amp in 5.1 format over the HDMI cable or would I need to connect the audio to the coax in on the amp?

Thinks for the link to richersounds also, going to look there for speakers. Saw a few recommendations for speakers to go with this amp in other posts so will have another look.

Cheers

alpi

Hi, not wanting to spoil your excuse for upgrading, but your audio problem might be similar to a problem I had with a Sony DAV-S400. I fixed it after following some advice received here

Of course that kindof ruined my excuse for upgrading....:oops:

chic

Distinguished Member
Thanks Chic, that's a great response :)

Going to go for the 910 then, just to make sure it all works as I want and also the extra inputs for future expansion.

I didn't realise the xbox only sent stereo audio over the HDMI, that's kinda silly isn't it?

I was also thinking, something that i totally forgot, the 360 doesn't support multi-region playback of standard DVDs. Does anyone know if theres a way around this or will I have to get a seperate DVD player? If so, should I go for a HD-DVD player that supports multi-region playback of standard DVD format too, not sure if they exist. Any recommendations would be great.

Would a HD-DVD player connected by HDMI pass audi to the amp in 5.1 format over the HDMI cable or would I need to connect the audio to the coax in on the amp?

Thinks for the link to richersounds also, going to look there for speakers. Saw a few recommendations for speakers to go with this amp in other posts so will have another look.

Cheers

there are no multi region hddvd players at the moment, what you could do is by a US toshiba hd-a2 can be got for £200 from movietyme(though you will need a stepdown transformer for it to work) in getting that you can watch your r1 movies on this and it will upscale them to and use your 360 for r2 movies. If you dont want a US player the equivalent UK model is h-e2 which can be got for around £250. I have the uk toshiba he-2 and it outputs full HD audio over hdmi such as dolby true hd and the sony 910 will accept hd audio over hdmi and it sounds fab and thus you wont need to run a separate audio cable. Another option is a US ps3 with that you wont need a step down transformer as the accept our voltage ok all you would need to do is change the plug. With the ps3 you could watch upscalled r1 dvds as well as r1 bluray discs with uncompressed audio which also sound fab on the 910. If you cant swing to that there are plenty multiregion dvd players which you can get which can connect via component to the amp but you would need to run an optical/coax for audio. I have a samsung multiregion dvd player connected to my system using component and coax for audio and it works well. With my 910 i have a ps3,toshiba he-1 and sky hd connected by hdmi and i need an optical cable for sky hd, i have my 360 connect by component and optical and my dvd player by component and coax and i just have one hdmi cable to my tv/projector and all my sources switch.

P

petelechem

Hi, not wanting to spoil your excuse for upgrading, but your audio problem might be similar to a problem I had with a Sony DAV-S400. I fixed it after following some advice received here

Of course that kindof ruined my excuse for upgrading....:oops:

I think it's time to go for an upgrade anyway, makes sense, as atm, wont have to xbox 360 and wii connected to the amp.

I have purchased the 910 from Amazon £240 (live in channel islands, so no VAT :) ) and for DVD playback, thought if I just get a normal multi-region DVD player with upscaling for now and see how the format war goes, will probably end up getting a hybrid HD-DVD Blu-ray Disc player when prices drop a bit.

Looking at the philips models DVP5960 and DVP5980. from what I can tell only difference is 5980 can do 1080p and 5960 only 1080i. So seeing as my TV is max 1080i guess i'll go for the 5960.

P

petelechem

Just one more quick thing really. Looked on richer sounds.

Would you recommend the Yamaha NSP-110 speaker package to go with this amp?

Seems the best within my budget tbh.

Thanks again to everyone for you help :):)

Garcian

I can't help you on the question of whether those speakers are any good or not, but if you're looking to buy that package, Peter Tyson is selling them for £69.90 - not sure about delivery costs though.

chic

Distinguished Member

they would be ok,but the more you can spend on speakers the better, but i think the Sony SSP88 look a better bet. But its you thats paying the money, i think with richer sounds you can take the speakers back if you dont like them (check first) may be see if you can get both and return the ones you dont like i know my richer sounds let me do that.

Timmo44

Novice Member

I have these Yamaha speakers with my STR-DG910 and they are fine for normal usage. I've had them up quite loud and they do the job nicely.

(Warning, at high volumes, the gusts of wind coming out the front of the subwoofer seem to upset the dog...)

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom