1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

str-db930

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by spanners 67, Jul 11, 2004.

1. spanners 67

spanners 67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all, new to all this so please be patient with me.........

I have a str-db930 which was bought second hand.

It has performed very well and has led to a new set of speakers (Eltax) being bought.

I couldn't afford the sub woofer at the time and have just got an Eltax Atomic A8.2.

BUT...................I get nothing from the sub, I have tried plugging the output from my cd direct to the sub and it works fine so therefore, says me, it must be with-in the amp the problem lies.........

I have selected sub woofer 'on' in the speaker set up. Now I am stuck, please help!

Spanners

2. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi there :)

Are you sure that you have the sub cable connected to the sub "pre out"?

3. spanners 67

spanners 67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, there are two on the right hand side as you look from the rear, I have tried it in both.

4. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Is your sub an active one? i.e. do you have to plug it in to the electricity?

i have the Sony 940 amp and the connections sound pretty much the same, my sub is an active one and it works fine.

5. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mate,

Does ir work for DVD's as i used to have this amp and the sub doesnt work in stereo mode, put it into AFD and it should work fine, if this isnt the problem then i'm afraid i cant help!!

Cheers

Jon

6. spanners 67

spanners 67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes its an active sub and it's plugged in and we have a green light. I have plugged the sub into my cd player output and it works fine.

I have use dit with a dvd in AFD and I get the shift from sub woofer to LFE barcode display, but nothing from the sub..............

7. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    This is bugging me, now - my brother has the same amp and we had a similar problem when we first set it up!

I'm presuming you have the DVD player connected to the amp with a co-axial (or optical) cable and that you have the amp's input set to DVD... if memory serves me right with Sonys you have to choose the input manually, even if you have AFD set to on by pressing the "Input mode" button - keep pressing the "Input mode" button until set to co-axial or optical is displayed.

Do you have "Dolby Digital" or "DTS" showing in the amp's display?

:)

8. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I used to own this amp.
    Have you got the subwoofer turned to 'YES' & the LFE output set to '0' or +10?

9. materia

materia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your sub works when plugged in directly to your CD players analog output (which i would not recommend doing as this is a fixed line level output) then that indicates that the sub is fine. The output from the sub should have been at quite a high level when plugged in this manner. It may be a simple case of the sub output on your amp not either being set to a high enough level, or your amp not being turned up enough. You could try unplugging your speakers from the amp,leave the sub plugged in and get a 5.1 source playing (ensuring your amp definately has the SUB set to present). Turn the amp upto 0db and see if it works then. I know that this sounds like an obvious thing to do and please do not take offence that i have suggested it, but sometimes it is the simple things that you look beyond.
    Make sure when plugging in or unplugging cable the amp is off at the mains!

Materia oUt........

10. spanners 67

spanners 67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions, I have tried them all and frustratingly none work. I must therefore sumise that the pre amp out put is at fault, is there a fuse????

I am going to strip it all down and open the case to see if there is an obvious fault/fuse other than that it's off to the dealer for a quick check-up!!

Thanks again and if there are any more suggestions get 'em in quick before I waste my time at the weekend.

11. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    What Grimly said. I also own this amp (though being tempted to upgrade ;-) and you have to make sure you tell the amp that you have a sub connected. Works for me.

Also, make sure your dials on the sub are turned up correctly (I forget what they are on mine hence I'm not being very specific!).