1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STR-DB830 - current value and possible replacements?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by hutchingsp, Jan 11, 2003.

1. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this for three years, and whilst I don't have money to burn I'm a bit of a sucker for replacing stuff after a few years, so I'm now wondering how much it might be worth, and potential replacements.

Music isn't a huge priority, nor is the radio. Speakers are 601s2 fronts, Mordaunt-Short MS209c centre, and MS05 rears - it's a bedroom setup so volume isn't a huge priority.

I was thinking along the lines of the Sony 780, the Pioneer 811 and the Yamaha 630.

Any opinions (inclusing "save your money" :)?

Paul

2. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi hutchingsp,

Don't change it if your happy with things!!! I had a Sony 930 that I sold about 2 months ago (for about £190 - this was probably the top of the market for this amp), very good for movies, but goddam awful in stereo (but this is not a priority for you?). Even so the Sony you have is good for movies, and unless you're spending large amounts on a processor/power route you will probably not see much benefit!

Just my 2p's worth.

Joust

3. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I'd agree, I would think that you would be a bit disappointed going from something in the range you are looking at, since they offer little increase in perfromance, just some extra features...

I managed to get a Sony 1070 from currys for £250 when they were selling them off a few weeks ago, and they had the Yammy 630 in another branch for the same price... maybe then....

If it was me, then I'd go for the next level... you'd have to get something like the Denon AVR3802 (Going for around £550-599 due to a new model coming out), their is technically better in the range, but not for £550-599 street value...

I would have thought you could sell yours for a minimum of £100.. and some people are cheeky and ask for more... ebay is always good for this...

4. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks both.

I've just posted about a couple of NAD receivers that I've got one eye on.

I have to admit that sometimes common sense goes out the window and I replace stuff for the sheer hell of it because I just fancy a change - I guess we all do it (we do, don't we!?).

Thing is, I don't use half the stuff on the Sony, it just gets stuck on stereo DPL, or DD/DTS auto and that's about it.

I've always had a bit of a thing about NAD gear, just like the look of it and it always gets good reviews with the usual comments being good with music and AV, good build, no frills.

Paul