1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STR-DB1080 Music problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by CarlosTheJackel, Jan 1, 2003.

1. CarlosTheJackel

CarlosTheJackel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just recieved a DVP-NS905 DVD player and have hooked it up to my STR-DB1080 Amp using an optical cable. The CD music playback is awful. Is there something I need to do to sort this? My 5 year old sony amp TA-F248E and CDP-XE520 CD player are miles better. In-fact my £30 proline CD player at work is about the same quality. I bought it mainly for DVD's - which it is brilliant at but the music is awful - I can only assume there are settings somewhere that I can play with to correct this. Any suggestions?

2. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    Connect the 2 channel analogue output of the dvd player to the cd/sacd input of the 1080.

3. Steve_e42

Steve_e42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would it make any difference which amp input the 905 was connected too... i.e. you have said use the CD/SACD input?
    Thanks

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    No difference. You can use any free analogue input you want to, it's your choice.

5. Biggles

Biggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Carlos

Is the sound "scratchy"? I don't have a Sony DVD but I've an old Toshiba linked to my 1080, and I've tried optical and Coxial and they both sound fine.

Yes there was a difference, but not that my wife could hear.

I'm just woundering if the sounds so bad could it be a dodgy cable or has the DVD play been set to do something it should'nt.

I recently conected a MD player to the system and I was only getting poor sound out of it at high volumes, when I checked I'd not linked the two properly.

Does this sound like your problem?

6. CarlosTheJackel

CarlosTheJackel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thanks for the replies, i've connected using the analogue as suggested and it had made a difference. I have no real idea how to describe it but if you have heard a really cheap CD player like pro-line etc. that is kind of what its like. Very flat and blurred.

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    hi carl
    does the music sound bad when played through prologic 11 if it does it cant be a cable problem highly unlikely both analogue and optical cables to be faulty.It could be a fault on the pick up .I think the sony uses duel optical one for dvd one for cd. my sony dvp-ns900v sounds great with cds both with prologic and analogue.do you know anybody else with the same player to ask if they get poor cd replay.
    cheers gonzo

8. markg1811

markg1811
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't mean to sound patronising, as i'm sure you have already tried this, but make sure the sound field is switched to off. Try experementing with the EQ controls, e.g Switch them off!
    This should give a more "hi-fi" presentation.

Mark

9. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    I friend of mine wanted a new amp and fancied the Sony 1080 so we went to demo it at superfi, It was attached to the kef egg system. With movies it was a bit boomy and the front soundstage sounded tinny. This could just be a poor set up but i thought the eggs were a good system!
    We then had a listen to some music [RHCP] what a dissapointment the treble was awful and mid and bass had no presence or punch. Did you demo this amp and what speakers do you have?
    My mate made a decision to to get a Marantz as i have the 6200 and he loves the sound of it with both films and music.
    Having said that i like Pioneer gear and after upgrading find the Marantz a bit lazy.....so its Back to Pioneer when i can afford it, Pioneer kit might not be that good with music but they are the dogs nuts with movies. I will add a seperate hi fi amp for music. At least you are happy with the movie side, would you consider adding a hifi amp.

10. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can barely tell any difference between my optical digital and stereo analogue RCA connections - apart from volume, the digital cable is around 8 dbs louder.

My system is DVP735 & STRDB1070.
    Does sound like somehting strange is going on.

11. Mattk

Mattk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a 1080 for 2 days and it sounded terrible compared to my old STR-DB830 when listening to music hence it went back - not impressed! It lacks bass/punch and it just didn't sound right and a few others have said the same. To be honest it seems very difficult to find a good all round amp. I now have a sony STR-VA555ES and thats better but still not the same as my old amp. IMO the old amps sound better for music, they tend to sound more natural. The new 1080 was so clinical and whatever I did with the equalizer I couldn't make it sound good. It all boils down to what you have been used to listening to all this time!:)

12. CarlosTheJackel

CarlosTheJackel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i've done everything suggested and it sounds ok now. The last thing i did was take the diffusers off the speakers which made a huge difference:D Using the Audio cables and CD inputs instead of the optical/DVD input for music seemed to make the biggest difference. Thank for the help - Its still not quite as good as my old music only amp for music but I use it for films 99% of the time:D