1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STR-DB1080 Buzzing

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by matcor, Apr 5, 2003.

1. matcor

matcor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There,

I am new to this forum. I was searching for people who had experienced a similar buzzing sound on their Sony STR-DB1080 and my search came up with AV Forums.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62866&highlight=buzzing

I bought my Sony STR-DB1080 (from Techtronics) when it was first released and must say that it is one excellent piece of kit. I did not notice the buzzing sound until many weeks later, but it is just the same as everyone else here has described.

Unfortunately I returned the unit to Techtronics, and they have now had it for almost two months (since 11/02/03!), in this time I have not been able to use any of my other audio equipment. They say they can't find a fault with it but I have insisted there is one - I tested it thoroughly, isolating everything and I could still hear the buzzing through headphones. They have now sent it to an independent repair company for testing.

I have not been very keen on Techtronics customer service as I have had to do all the chasing and they have not yet let me speak to one of their engineers.

If they can't find a problem I will be stuck with a faulty STR-DB1080, in an almost second hand state, as they have actually had it longer they I have.

What I really want is a replacement!

Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks.

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,473
    i think by law, they have 28 days to repair any faulty items. After that you are entitled to a refund.

I know its something along those lines.

If you bought it on credit card, then speak to the CC company.

3. matcor

matcor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

But what if they can't find the fault! Does this still apply?

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,473
    not sure, you would need to speak to the engineer doing the tests, to make sure they are testing/looking for the correct fault.

As when i had my TV fixed, the engineer working on the fault.....didn't really know what he was looking for !!

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    This seems to be a common fault and must be well know by now try contacting sony see if they can help or at least tell Techtronics
    what the fault is so they can find it.
    Keeping your amp for 2 months is well out of order give them a dead line to fix it or your money back.

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Yes ! Inform them you are in dispute with the retailer. Also inform the retailer of your intentions and consider reporting them to the local office of fair trading and also Sony ( they are after all supposed to be an authorised agent ). This is way below the standard of service which any reasonable person would be expected to tolerate.

7. matcor

matcor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have already contacted Sony and Trading Standards, but they have done little to help! Apparently under the Sale of Goods Act, the duty is on the consumer to prove that the goods are faulty. And until you can get somebody to confirm the fault, you are unable to pursue your legal rights.

I have however, just sent both a new email emphasising the length of time they have had my unit, and whether Sony can pull any strings at Techtronics, and if I am entitled to my money back!

8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Don't know who told you that. Supply & sale of goods act 1994 .
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/guides_to/goodsandservices/

Get focused and get pestering them.Remember , they will get sick of you before you will get sick of them. I discovered this a long time ago :D
    Be assertive and don't take no for an answer.

9. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I symphaphise with your situation as I too have a buzzing 1080. Although my situation is not as dire as yours.

I got mine from HiFiBitz and reported the buzzing a week later. I was told I would get a replacement which I'm still waiting for. Its been about 2 weeks so far (they're still waiting for Sony to send them more 1080's, apparantly i'm top of the list to receive one) but at least I can still use my buzzing 1080 to a certain degree.

Isn't the law that within 31 days you're entitled to a replacement or your money back?

10. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Call them back , posing as a prospective purchaser ready to make a deal ... are they still awaiting stock or can they supply at once ?

11. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you're getting at lynx. They would rather sell 1080's rather than send free replacements of course.

The HiFiBitz guy told me earlier this week that he would phone me when they were going to send it but I may just give them a phone tommorow asking if they have any 1080's in stock.

Sorry about the slight hi-jacking of your thread matcor. :)

12. matcor

matcor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not at all pingtuk!

The more people who have experienced the buzzing the better! I may just email this thread to Techtronics. The more ammunition I have the better.

Thanks Lynx, those links are very helpful. It was actually Trading Standards who said it was the consumer who had to prove the goods were faulty!

I am feeling much more positive now! Not knowing how I legally stood was making me feel very annoyed and depressed about the whole issue.

13. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot to call HiFiBitz yesterday so I sent them an email enquiring about the 1080 stock situation using a different email address. Here was their response :

"Hi

We do not have the unit availabe from stock. At present Sony have no stock and are unable to offer an incoming date for the silver unit but they do have stock available on the black. We could get hold of one in a matter of days if you place an order on the site.

Thanks for contacting HiFiBitZ."

So looks there was no need for me to get all suspicous, HiFiBitz are still a top company in my eyes. :)

I don't really want a black one so I guess I'll be still waiting. At least I can use my faulty 1080 for short periods while I'm waiting.

14. malford

malford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    This is a common fault on the STR1080 receiver, the only way to fix it is to get an exchange unit .
    I spoke with my local Sony dealer who was prepared to try and fix it but he did warn me it could take months and that i should have an exchange unit.

Empire Direct didnt even question the buzzing fault and replaced the unit immeadiately, so they must of known about the fault.

I recieved my Sony STR-DB1080 on the 6th January 2003 and after 3 days it started buzzing on all 5 speakers.
    It is very annoying at night where all you can hear is an earth type buzz.
    The buzz seems to come on after 5 minutes of use and changing sound fields or by going into 2 channel mode doesn't seem to make any difference.

I have disconnected all components from receiver and removed all but the forward speakers and still the buzzing is there.
    I have checked and double checked all wiring for signs of a short but all is fine.
    I haven’t yet got a sub woofer connected to the HiFi so I can count that out of the noise equation.

The electrical supply has been checked for EMF and there are no fluorescent lights, dimmer switches or Televisions nearby.
    My previous Technics SA-GX690 worked fine on the same setup for many years without any buzzing noises.

Things took more serious turn today as the amp went into "PROTECTOR" mode and refused to respond to anything other than the OFF button when music is played at a loud level (-30db). After it cooled down a bit things went back to normal apart from the Buzzing noise.

Phoned Empire Direct today and after waiting 20 minutes on the phone I spoke to a very helpful tech support guy who offered me an exchange of unit (postage paid by Empire direct) or offered to have it looked at by an approved Sony dealer local to where I live.
    I have opted for an exchange unit as sometimes dealerships are not always very accommodating when they have to do warranty work on goods that they haven’t sold you.

Sony STR1080 Replacement from Empire Direct.

Timeline:

Ordered STRDB1080S 02/01/2003

Received unit 06/01/2003

Fault occurred 10/01/2003

Fault reported to Empire 14/01/2003

Unit picked up (no charge) 17/01/2003

Advised replacement unit nil stock, possible delivery mid February and offered full refund. 30/01/2003

Unit Arrived 03/02/2003

Very happy with Empire’s returns service but disappointed with Sony UK for not re stocking sooner.

Impressed with the timeline progress for Empire, from this you can make your own conclusions to their level of service.

My Sony 1080 still gives me an orgasam every time i crank her up, just love it " and the dainty Blue light"

Regards Malcolm