1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STR-DA2ES or VR-6070

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by TommyS, Mar 2, 2003.

1. TommyS

TommyS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks, I have been researching A/V receivers for a couple of days and have narrowed my search down to the Sony STR-DA2ES and the Kenwood VR-6070. I have some questions that I need input on, thanks.

Sony
    - Does it have a dynamic range compression capability like the “Midnight theater mode” of other receivers? (does not have to be equivalent to this function but I would like the capability to decrease the dynamic range when needed by some method)

Pluses
    -Adjustable subwoofer crossover in 10 Hz increments
    -5 year warranty
    -HDTV compatible component switching (50 MHz)

Minuses
    -see Kenwood pluses below

Kenwood

Pluses
    -RF remote (Really like this!)
    -THX (not sure how important this is)

Minuses
    -No HDTV compatible component switching (10 MHz) (Not sure if this would be a problem)
    Have not seen comments whether this really degrades the picture or not (?) But makes me suspicious of quality.
    -No onscreen operation
    -Quirky operations - Quote following from Vanns

"I also don't care for it having the ability to modify all of the sound fields I spent a week setting up the way I wanted (my wife, with an erroneous push of a button, could screw things up.) I also didn't like that if you pushed the volume button, control went back to "Receiver" mode. If you're used to changing a channel by just pushing a single button, get ready to push multiple buttons here. You have to push the button of the device almost always before performing the function. "

What impact does purchasing one of these items from a non-authorized dealer have on service, etc.?

Any recommended dealers for the above equipment (authorized or not) that has a good rating for customer satisfaction and of course, price?

Has any one determined whether the amp section rating is not 31 watts per channel with 6-channels driven as was tested on the 1070/1080 clone per sound & vision?

Are there any show stoppers between the two above that may make the decision easier? In general, I have found that the "ES" has gotten a lukewarm to OK review from most whereas the Kenwood has received good to very good comments. I am having difficulty determining whether these assessments are comparing apples to apples or whether the "ES" is being fairly/unfairly evaluated against its DB1080/QS brethern. In other words, is the "ES" being overly criticized or are the expectations for the Kenwood somewhat lower do to its mass marketing perception?. On an absolute basis is the "ES" a good choice regardless of what it is called?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. TommyS

TommyS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody?

3. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi TommyS,

I think you won't find lots of opinions of the 6070 here on the UK forum. Although I am a big fan of Kenwood (if you search on 9060 which is the European name for 6070) and it has actually got here good reviews and superb reviews in the German market where Kenwood is regarded as good as Sony/Pioneer/Yamaha etc. Here in UK, Kenwood has just withdrawn from the av-market as they haven't managed to market their products properly, albeit they haven't had that good products before and they are perhaps regarded a kitchen goods and car-hifi brand rather than a serious av-brand.

Anyway go to http://www.kenwood.de/surrec_frmset.htm and you can translate the german words with babelfish which you can find on www.altavista.co.uk . Also http://www.areadvd.de/ is a very respected German online tester of products and Kenwood is very highly regarded. Go to hardware and av-receiver/forstarker.

I didn't buy the Kenwood as it was a bit out of my budget and maybe too powerful for my speakers, so I chose the Marantz SR4300 as it is as good for music as for cinema, it looks good, very good price and it has CSII which was a requirement for me.

Regarding 1080S you will find many very satisfied owners here in UK, just search on the threads. All UK mags are raving about this one, although I am not sure how the German Mags are rating it.
    1080 real power output should be quite near the Kenwood one.

It is a difficult one, if you like power-and quality sound, thx, learning remote, CSII, for a good price - then choose Kenwood. If you don't care about the above and want a good looking, power and quality-sound,then go for Sony. When I mean quality sound, it depends on which opinions you value more. As I said on the UK forum and UK mags reviews will say that Sony has a better quality sound, while I think German forums and German mags reviews will say maybe that Kenwood is at least equal if not better than many. Just see www.areadvd.de . Unfortunately I don't know any German forums websites, but I am sure it can be found easily.

By the way, I am sure that you will find many US opinions on 6070 and others on us sites www.avsforum.com, www.hometheaterspot.com, www.epinions.com, www.audioreview.com,

Happy decision making.

Wasabi.

4. TommyS

TommyS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info!