STR 5200ES HDMI failings

museumsteve

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with HDMI from 5200ES? Mine has been messing up recently and now it's at the stage where it just doesn't want to output HDMI at all, sometimes it flicks in and out, sometimes you hear sound and sometimes not..but more often than not it just does nothing.
I'm taking it to a local Sony service centre this afternoon as it's under warranty but in all I think this just about tops off what was a very bad choice by me. I sold my AVC-A1SE for this on the grounds of HDMI switching for SkyHD, PS3 etc..but it has disappointed in just about every area.

Has anyone had any issues with HDMI from 5200ES? Mine has been messing up recently and now it's at the stage where it just doesn't want to output HDMI at all, sometimes it flicks in and out, sometimes you hear sound and sometimes not..but more often than not it just does nothing.
I'm taking it to a local Sony service centre this afternoon as it's under warranty but in all I think this just about tops off what was a very bad choice by me. I sold my AVC-A1SE for this on the grounds of HDMI switching for SkyHD, PS3 etc..but it has disappointed in just about every area.

maybe you was a bit unlucky and had one that was made late fri afternoon:D

dont give up on the amp,its a great amp ive had mine since dec,i get what you have a couple of times but i just turn it on and off again.i thinks it comes down to how you have the equipment turned on they have to be in some kind of order(thats what i think)
hope you get it back asap:smashin:

I have HDMI issues where my plasma periodically shuts down when using the HDMI input but not because of the amp (I had the same problems with equipment connected separately and with different leads before the amp went into the chain). I've had no major gripes at all with mine - the only minors niggle are:

having to hit the "receiver" button before selecting menu when using the OSD. Bit daft imho.

it takes too long for the volume to change significantly - it's too gradual.

It seems to work and sound really well in combination with my Kef 3005 speaker setup - even my wife thinks it's good :cool:

I've had an issue with the HDMI from my Sony HDD/DVD recorder to the TV - sometimes the sound is missing! I have found that selecting the HDMI input on the TV again seems to always solve it if it isn't there first time - irritating, but livable with. My previous recorder seemed to want to watch TV in the night - every morning I came down to the TV on and the HDMI input selected...!! That one went back!!! I just think HDMI can be a bit flaky, which is annoying to say the least.

I've just bought a STR 5200ES to replace my old STR 555ES in order to drive my new 40 inch Sony LCD from a single HDMI input, with all other sources fed into the 5200. I am also keen to exploit the upscaling capability of the 5200 - driven from component video and optical audio from my DVPNS999ES.

Sadly, whatever I do - I can only get images on the LCD and no sound ;-(

In practice, this may not matter, as I will use the 5200 pre-outs to drive 10 Tan55ES power amps in the surround sound system I am using. However, for simple stuff, like watching the news, it would be nice not to have to wind the power amps up too.

Please let me know if anyone has had a similar experience or has any suggestions as to what I might try to get sound & vision. Thanks, WhiskeyCorner.

In the main settings, under audio settings there's an option to send the sound via amp, tv+amp or just tv. You might want to check that this setting is correct as there's no reason why sound shouldn't be sent via the hdmi in/output.

I did set that option - still no sound.

I also checked the volume was turned up on the 5200 and the LCD.

I also edited the Inputs on the 5200 to accept the component in, and with optical for sound. The front panel of the 5200 does show it is receiving a PCM feed, but all I get out of the HDMI is visuals with no sound.

I checked the HDMI cable - I can happily get sound and vision from the LCD from a Sony HD recorder through its HDMI out using the same cable. I.e. the LCD and cable are fine.

Unless I am missing something really obvious, I can't help but think the brand new 5200 is broke!!!

Cheers, WhiskyCorner

I did set that option - still no sound.

I also checked the volume was turned up on the 5200 and the LCD.

I also edited the Inputs on the 5200 to accept the component in, and with optical for sound. The front panel of the 5200 does show it is receiving a PCM feed, but all I get out of the HDMI is visuals with no sound.

I checked the HDMI cable - I can happily get sound and vision from the LCD from a Sony HD recorder through its HDMI out using the same cable. I.e. the LCD and cable are fine.

Unless I am missing something really obvious, I can't help but think the brand new 5200 is broke!!!

Cheers, WhiskyCorner

I haven't checked on mine but prehaps the sound on HDMI is pass through only, e.g. you will only get sound on the HDMI when using a HDMI source sending sound. Have you tried with a HDMI source through the amp rather than component + optical?

That would seem to make the upscaling facility a bit redundant if you were only able to obtain visuals ;-( Is there anyway we can get a definitive view on whether this is a feature of the 5200 (i.e. HDMI sound output only with HDMI input).

On the other hand, I wonder if I can drive the LCD using the HDMI output, with stereo sound fed via phono leads?

This does mean my original goal of just one cable to the 5200 is out, but it might allow me to get good visuals plus reasonable sound.

When I am using the Tan55's for full cinema sound, no volume to the LCD isn't an issue. But for everyday TV, going through the ritual of switching all the power amps on is a bit of a chore!

I will try the HDMI & Phono cable solution tonight and let you know if it flies.

Thanks for your assistence,
WhiskyCorner

Mine won't be setup until the weekend but I can check then if you still don't have a definitive answer.

well I've given up on mine and agreed to buy another Denon K-AVC A1SE, which is what I sold to buy the Sony in the first place.
This was probably the biggest mistake I've made in my AV years. I bought the Sony on the back of HDMI switching more than anything yet it has disappointed in so many areas.
The Sony is at a Sony Authorized Repair Centre at the moment, they rang to say they couldn't find a fault but that there was a firmware update available which they would sort. They then went on to say they dont have the required equipment to do the firmware update and were waiting for Sony to confirm what they needed to do...I've pre-sold the unit as it's under warranty so will be repaired or replaced anyway.
So I look forward to having a Denon back in my room and good riddance to the Sony.

I've also had problems with this amp. I posted them here but I'm gonna put them here as this thread seems a bit more active...

I've spent some time tinkering with my new 5200es, a 7.1 setup and a PS3. And without it's frustrations. For a 5 star AV Receiver, I could be happier...

If I listen to an Audio CD, the amp tells me (with it's blue light illuminated and on the panel display showing 7.1 speakers) that there is multi channel audio being input - but the sound only comes out of the front two stereo speaks, as you'd expect. A small annoyance that it's actually stereo being played and it's saying that it's 7.1, but still - I can live with that.

If I listen to a SACD - the amp does the opposite. The screen and blue light tell me that it's multi channel audio coming in, with the rear surround back 2 speakers disabled - that's as it should be, SACD is 5.1 channels (afaik!!! This is Moloko - Statues). But when I listen to which speakers are playing back audio - all 7.1 speakers are being used! Crazy! I can't tell what it's doing but it's very annoying knowing that it does not pass through the SACD audio as it should do, to 5.1 speakers.

I'm also frustrated that it does not let you change sound fields when playing games or watching movies (well - watching movies I understand and can deal with, but games- I'd prefer to choose a sound field).
This amp also gives 'jitters' when switching inputs - particuarly to HDMI 1080p in - sometimes I see bright green or purple squares for an instant of a split second before the input changes.
Sometimes it fails to show the PS3 input if I switch between another input and back to the PS3 one often (meaning I have to plug the HDMI cable in and out again to detect it).
And the time it takes to switch HDMI inputs is up to 5 seconds. Jeez.

Nice amp but I feel like it's buggy. Cant find any info online about the firmware updates (how are they installed? USB?)...

Anyone know anything more about this than I do? Help very much appreciated guys...

I got my amp back and promptly sold it on, the new owner knew the issues and the warranty etc.
The service centre said they replaced a FlashRAM module (whatever that is) and also carried out a firmware update. There was a few days delay for the firmware as they had to get a 'jig' from Sony. Not sure what a 'jig' is but that's obviously how they carry out firmware updates.

I helped setup this Amp at a friends house who is a beginner to everything 'Home Cinema'
we also could not get any sound from the HDMI cable - any way it turns out that that if you have a DVI converter attatched in the 'chain' (amp>Screen) this somehow wont allow sound to the Amp??? (Picture yes)

which I find very puzzling - so what I thought was a totally simple procedre, turned into a hell of a lot of head scratching

SkyHD HDMI>Amp
Amp>HDMI> Screen

anyway the only way I could get sound was to add an OPtical cable

Not sure if I've misunderstood your concerns but just to confirm, Sky HD doesn't output surround sound via HDMI - only stereo. For DD you have to use the optical cable. My set up is like this:

Sky HD - Pic via HDMI, sound via Optical
PS3 - sound and pic via HDMI (although I've also connected Optical so I can switch to surround sound effects on some games)
DVD - pic via HDMI, sound via Optical (again, like Sky, DD and DTS can only be output via the optical connection.

I just reconfigured the inputs on the amp menu with a duplicate set for the PS3 - one optical and one HDMI.

Hope that's clarified a few things - apologies if I've misunderstood.

Had one briefly - couldn't get sound out through the HDMI - took it back to Sony Bromley for a full refund - nice guys! I'm back using my STRVA555ES now - much better looking, more settings to tweak, and reliable too.

Here's a question - my new 40 Bravia W range LCD looks great driven from my DVPNS999ES, but I think the visuals are running a fraction slower than the audio through the STRVA555ES and then through my 10 Tan55ES power amps. Is there some way to "slow" the STRVA555ES down a touch to let the LCD image catch up?

Very Best Regards,
John

AV Sync time delay can be set in the menu's on the 5200, no idea on yours though, best have a search through the options.

I helped setup this Amp at a friends house who is a beginner to everything 'Home Cinema'
we also could not get any sound from the HDMI cable - any way it turns out that that if you have a DVI converter attatched in the 'chain' (amp>Screen) this somehow wont allow sound to the Amp??? (Picture yes)

which I find very puzzling - so what I thought was a totally simple procedre, turned into a hell of a lot of head scratching

SkyHD HDMI>Amp
Amp>HDMI> Screen

anyway the only way I could get sound was to add an OPtical cable

The DVI standard does not support sound so it is perfectly normal that putting a hdmi to dvi converter in the chain will remove the sound.

As to a few of the other sound related isses posted here, I hate to sound like a lecture giver but it is worth checking the manual and the specs. The 5200es does not convert sound to hdmi from any non hdmi input, it will only pass through sound input via hdmi input to the hdmi output. I would need to go check the manual again myself but I think even more specifically it needs to be lpcm sound input via hdmi for there to be an hdmi audio output.

Also check the spec of the hdmi input on your screen for what audio inputs it supports, some of the early ones were video only just like dvi, others may only accept stereo not mutlichannel.

The 5200es also does not convert digital audio inputs (optical, coaxial) to analogue or hdmi. So if you want sound from your screen connected by hdmi to your 5200es when watching a dvd for example you would also need to connect the analogue stereo connections from the dvd to the amp and from the amp to the screen.

"My set up is like this:

PS3 - sound and pic via HDMI (although I've also connected Optical so I can switch to surround sound effects on some games)"

Reckless with my ps3 I have only a HDMI connection and believed that all surround sounds could be output by HDMI regardless. Is that not correct?

Hi MuseumSteve,

Apologies if your problem has already been resolved, but I haven't read through this entire thread....In regards to your 5200 "flicking in and out" ...I too have seen this same issue once before with a customers unit. After a lot of playing around, it turned out to be an over-heating issue in the HDMI engine!

Is your unit inside a cabinet? is it well vented!!?? ...I found that even though we had an extraction fan inside the cabinet, this was still not enough as now that we are in the summer months the doors had to come off thew cabinet to get the temps down...

Anyways... worth looking into if your still having probs!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom