Stowaway (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

Enjoying the digression from relevance for a second, I also love Sunshine. I'd say it's hugely underrated but I think the truth is it's just for a certain type of person... The type of person who likes to slam hard SF into slasher movies.

That.last 10-15 minutes though...such a shame...

I lasted about 40 minutes.

Unlike a film like 'Alien' where I instantly had an emotional attachment with all of the characters, in this instance I had none and couldn’t give a toss if they all died.
I therefore couldn’t see any reason to continue.

I love space films.

Despite their often monstrously cavalier attitude to genuine physics.

This shall be my Saturday night treat.
well than you'll love this one as it seems to have full on earth gravity in space a few times :)

Setting aside the whole sun dying/needs kick starting thing, I seem to recall his commentary suggested that they tried to keep most other things fairly accurate ish. Brilliant commentary too.

Watched this over 2 nights. Last 45 this evening but I was very tired and wavering a bit. In the end I’m not sure why she went
out for the space climb for a second time
:confused::blush:
I thought about it for a second too, but then it made sense. sort of.. :)

I watched it last night. I was just checking Netflix and it came up. I thought it was good, a good 7 seems a very fair score.

I am glad that I did not know it existed until yesterday. It is a movie about space, the most hostile environment for earth's live.

I can see the points made about the holes on the story but it is not meant to be a documentary.

I did like Anna Kendrick's character. She did quite well showing the emotional side of the problem.

i enjoyed it even with one or two dumb bits

given the cannister was so vital wouldnt it have been attached securely so it could not fly off into space?

well than you'll love this one as it seems to have full on earth gravity in space a few times :)

The spacecraft spins like a flail to simulate gravity at 1 Earth g. Therefore they have full on earth gravity in the habitable section at all times while it spins. That aspect of the film was spot on. It was a brilliantly designed ship based on theoretical designs.

Enjoying the digression from relevance for a second, I also love Sunshine. I'd say it's hugely underrated but I think the truth is it's just for a certain type of person... The type of person who likes to slam hard SF into slasher movies.
Deviating as well for a second. I'm by no means a slasher movie fan, but it worked for me here. (Could Alien also be called a hard SF/slasher Movie?). SWMBO cannot watch it, though, so my rewatching moments need the place to myself!

The spacecraft spins like a flail to simulate gravity at 1 Earth g. Therefore they have full on earth gravity in the habitable section at all times while it spins. That aspect of the film was spot on. It was a brilliantly designed ship based on theoretical designs.
That's a given dude, I am referring to other parts when the door she detaches off the rocket dives straight down like a rock, that's a strange phenomenon in weightlessness ;) ..and a few other bits but who cares its mindless fun I am not here to analyse the reality bases of it, if I did that that would defeat the purpose of any sci-fi.

That's a given dude, I am referring to other parts when the door she detaches off the rocket dives straight down like a rock, that's a strange phenomenon in weightlessness ;)

No it isn't. The door has is acting under the exact same centrifugal force as that part of the ship, so it will fly off tangentially as if 'falling'.

No it isn't. The door has is acting under the exact same centrifugal force as that part of the ship, so it will fly off tangentially as if 'falling'.
Somehow I knew you would say that :) I'll leave it with you to spin on it ;)

Deffo worth a watch a 6.5/10 from me.

5/10 for me, Toni Collette (who I have always liked) seemed disinterested and DD Kim was a flake.

Bit that pissed me off was that the spin of the ship didn't match the gravity they appeared to be reacting to and changed multiple times during the film.

Totally understand people's issues with plot devices - all I can say is, the next mission will have a significantly improved ship!

Well that'll be two hours I won't get back. 3 out of 10 from me and I think I'm being generous. I assume the idea was to gain an emotional response to the plight of the astronauts but it was just awful and with zero care about what happens to anyone.

In space no one can hear you scream but it's probably because no one cares!

For all mankind is head and shoulders above this borefest!

I quite liked this, far from the best SciFi drama but definitely watchable. The end was maybe a bit flat but by the time the story had developed to this point I am not sure where else it could have gone.

Decent performances all round but I thought Anna Kendrick was very good in it.

Movie was a solid 6 out of 10 for me. Worth a watch but instantly forgettable. What really ruined it though was the HD picture quality. Paying out for a high end TV these days seems almost pointless when most content is streamed at such a poor BIT rate. This film was macro blocking all over the place & for space movies with a lot of black content, the image quality was a mess. Just a normal Blu-Ray would have looked and sounded 10 times better.

Disappointed with this. The ship was incredibly well done - loved it. Everything else was just a little dull. And I'm a massive fan of AK. Played out like an extended TV drama rather than a movie.

Same as The Midnight Sky in some respects, but I preferred that.

i enjoyed it even with one or two dumb bits

given the cannister was so vital wouldnt it have been attached securely so it could not fly off into space?
Or how about them not being tethered? Also they can predict solar flares 24hrs beforehand with fairly good reliability now, So if they were going to do gardening on mars I would assume they would have even more advanced methods...Given the fact it's obviously set in the future.

I did enjoy this though, Far better than much of the other Netflix fodder of late :)

Quite enjoyed this, whether it is the recent upgrade to a lumagen 5348 or coincidence, but this sounded fantastic!! Bass was dropping to around 10hz during the takeoff scene and a few others.

I’ve always been critical of streamed audio (this going into a high end system), but the last couple of Netflix films (this and love and monsters) has pushed discs pretty close.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom