Stowaway (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

pratty

I was also disappointed. Not with the realism or lack of though. First off I actually enjoyed most of it, acting and characters were good, and I've no issue with the premise which constructs the story's big dilemma.

But a longish, slow film deserved a better pay off. Maybe my own expectations were to blame for my disappointment but I was expecting a moment of genius, a shift in perspective, something outside the box, something beyond what the average viewer can conceive.

For example if you watch a serial killer movie you don't want it to end with the detective simply questioning the most likely suspect, who then confesses, the end. You want the serial killer to seem like he's got the best of the detective, only for the detective to re-examine an old clue in a new light after a moment of inspiration, to turn the tables somehow, maybe he's been setting a cunning trap for the serial the whole film, unbeknownst to both the killer and the audience until a big reveal at the end that rewards the viewer's investment.

I sat there patiently waiting to be dazzled by how a professional writer was going to resolve a difficult dilemma for the characters, but the ending just left me thinking "Well I could have written that."

Bruggelink

Well that'll be two hours I won't get back. 3 out of 10 from me and I think I'm being generous. I assume the idea was to gain an emotional response to the plight of the astronauts but it was just awful and with zero care about what happens to anyone.

In space no one can hear you scream but it's probably because no one cares!

For all mankind is head and shoulders above this borefest!
Very thin story, spread over 2 hours.

rustyk21

Very poor. Don't know how I managed to finish it in all honesty. 4 / 10, 5 at best and that's pushing it.

Same for me. In fact, I didn't manage to finish it, I made it up to 18 minutes before the end.
Sorry, but it was boring, unoriginal and pointless.

Also, I love scifi, but I wouldn't even put it in that category.
It even starts badly, where during takeoff everything is just shaking around and there is no attempt to simulate high g forces.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
I think I saw a different film to everyone else.

I saw a solid space survival drama with good performances, a tough moral dilemma, and excellent science/ space engineering. Just the ticket for what was basically a hype-free netflix film. I don't recall anyone claiming that this was 'the best sci-fi ever made' or 'the next 2001'. So I don't get the harshness of the critique.

Same for me. In fact, I didn't manage to finish it, I made it up to 18 minutes before the end.
Sorry, but it was boring, unoriginal and pointless.

Also, I love scifi, but I wouldn't even put it in that category.
It even starts badly, where during takeoff everything is just shaking around and there is no attempt to simulate high g forces.

What a weird overreaction. And surely its even more 'pointless' to spend 2 hours (minus 18 minutes) watching a film and quitting before the end.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
I think I saw a different film to everyone else.

I saw a solid space survival drama with good performances, a tough moral dilemma, and excellent science/ space engineering. Just the ticket for what was basically a hype-free netflix film. I don't recall anyone claiming that this was 'the best sci-fi ever made' or 'the next 2001'. So I don't get the harshness of the critique.

What a weird overreaction. And surely its even more 'pointless' to spend 2 hours (minus 18 minutes) watching a film and quitting before the end.
I preferred this to 2001 to be fair!

rustyk21

That's quite an ironic reaction. It's only my opinion, I'm not that bothered, there are plenty of films I don't like.
I had to watch the film (or most of it) to see if I liked it or not.

Louis Mazzini

I enjoyed reading Tom's review. Didn't agree with much of it though. Of the ones I've read, the reviewers' narrative for this film seems to be, as Tom puts it, "...takes us easily into the quickly apparent dark heart of the movie – not how they’ll fix the life support, but how they’ll choose who will survive." Really though? I'd been expecting an interesting and edgy exploration of this dilemma, but it's almost entirely non-existent in the film: The decision is more "Who's not going to survive?" and it's taken pretty much immediately and without debate.

Basically, I thought it was just like a TV movie from the 80s but under the sheen of modern glossy effects. It was the usual thing of being "Scientifically Accurate" - when it wanted to be, but not so much if that would get in the way of the plot. Such as there was one.

Worst I thought was Toni Collette's character. She rapidly became overly emotional, not behaving like you'd expect a space mission commander to. I started to imagine she was playing the same character as Marcus's mum in About A Boy, twenty years on, with her hippy leanings having evolved to encompass Martian botany. That way I was able to enjoy it, just a tiny bit.

Right now there's a drone flying over the surface of Mars. I find that piece of science fact vastly more thrilling and awe-inspiring than anything this film offered up via its science fiction Mars journey story.

And the title was a misnomer: It suggested something mysterious and intriguing, but was completely misleading. Unrewarding. I'm glad some people liked it; I did not.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
I think
a more deliberate stowaway the crew weren't aware of until later on - air / water being used up quicker than expected / food going missing
would have been more interesting. Everything was limited by the small number of crew.

GrazzaB

I quite enjoyed this, always nice to see a science fiction drama that doesn’t have quips inserted into the script every minute. Good casting too.

But on a technical level the picture quality was surprisingly poor - smearing and blocking that got worse as it went on, and when I checked the bitrate with the info button towards the end I was getting 1.18Mbps for a 1080p HD image! I cannot believe that’s supposed to be the bitrate, that would be low for SD. That’s the worst thing I’ve seen image quality wise on Netflix for quite some time and not remotely representative of typical Netflix stuff, let alone Apple TV 4K content. Sound wise though this was a decent 5.1 mix with a good LFE presence as noted above.

Last edited:

Monkeyjunk

Standard Member
I enjoyed it overall it was quite a good premise and I liked the cast. But the whole arc of the film was not what I was expecting. It was a fairly glum ending. 6/10 like The Martian but with all the fun and happiness sucked out.

apolloa

Distinguished Member
Another good film, Anna was fantastic being out of her comfort zone, applying those acting skills to something other then romantic comedy whilst dancing & singing.
She was very good in it, overall the film was enjoyable, something that most likely would never happen, but still enjoyable. The end was a little surprising I have to say.
The cast carried it off well, the writing was alright. So I’d give it a 7.5/10.

Personally I think the best SciFi film on Netflix over the last few months was Space Sweepers.

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
Glad to see so many people with the same opinion as me! This was total garbage, 2 hours waiting for something to happen and nothing did. No drama, no suspense, nothing of any note whatsoever.

2/10, it’s only not a 1 as I like Anna Kendrick :rotfl:

tickedon

I normally really enjoy space films but this was below average.

Several plot holes, a predictable script where I could deliver the next line before they did, and a running time about 30 minutes longer than needed... came away disappointed on Saturday night!

4/10 would be my score.

Delta38

Thanks Tom. Sounds an interesting Film. Loved the Tenet Nod.
Does the Spaceship make the Tie Fighter noise when you see it from outside?
There is no Sound in Space .
No Air Molecules for Sound to Vibrate Ha Ha.
Just like all the other Movies of Spaceships like Star Trek.
Only Joking I get your point.

Delta38

This is another Title on Netflix I got my Moneys worth ?
Called try before you buy , If you Love it you Buy it.
Story line a bit Slow but watchable , Not a Title I would Rush out and Buy.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
There is no Sound in Space .
No Air Molecules for Sound to Vibrate Ha Ha.
Just like all the other Movies of Spaceships like Star Trek.
Only Joking I get your point.
Yep, I was just having fun. :)
2001 I remember did it "properly" (No sound during exterior views), and one fabulous bit in part 2 of the Pilot episodes of Battlestar Galactica when the Galactica engages the Cylon fleet for the first time above Ragnar so the fledging fleet can escape - epic!

Delta38

That's what is called Poetic License for Effect ?
It sounds Good.
Yes All the SIFIs have it and I have seen most if not all .
I did remember seeing Battlestar Galactica at the Cinemas in Sensurround
all the Seats Shook at the Launch of the Viper Fighters.
Battle of Midway was another , Best idea ever , pity they don't do Movie's
like that anymore they were fantastic.

Har-One

It sounds Good.
It would be a very boring and silent movie otherwise. Watching Star Wars without sound would be an "interesting" experience.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
It sounds Good.

It would be a very boring and silent movie otherwise. Watching Star Wars without sound would be an "interesting" experience.
Oh, I totally agree. It worked in 2001 as it was not bang crash space Opera, but otherwise I'm always up for the special sound effects. I do like that they did that silent bit in B.G. though - the tension was already huge because this is the first stand up fight we see, & in that instance for me it ramped it up higher. After that, though, bring 'em on!

The latest video from AVForums

Sony A90J & A80J OLED and X90J & X95J BRAVIA XR TV Line-up & Features: Sony Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sony launches larger screen sizes for latest Bravia XR TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sennheiser Consumer Electronics acquired by Sonova
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense announces US TV and soundbar ranges for 2021