Stowaway (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

Belzok

I enjoyed it but it certainly had it's flaws.

No spare parts, or even replacement board, for the thing that keeps the crew alive? Really? I know it's a plot device but it's a bit of a dumb one.

Liked how the stowaway actually managed to be there.

Solar storm at just the wrong time, whatever are the odds :)

6 SRBs out of 10 Apollo Missions

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
I enjoyed it but it certainly had it's flaws.

No spare parts, or even replacement board, for the thing that keeps the crew alive? Really? I know it's a plot device but it's a bit of a dumb one.

Liked how the stowaway actually managed to be there.

Solar storm at just the wrong time, whatever are the odds :)

6 SRBs out of 10 Apollo Missions

I don't think those are flaws, its the whole premise of the film.

CMJs also occur very regularly- once every few days and sometimes several times a day. I thought it was a believable space hazard, that again was crucial to the drama.

Scientific accuracy is important in this sort of film, but not to the point where nothing dramatic ever happens.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Thanks Tom. Sounds an interesting Film. Loved the Tenet Nod.
Does the Spaceship make the Tie Fighter noise when you see it from outside?

Belzok

I don't think those are flaws, its the whole premise of the film.

CMJs also occur very regularly- once every few days and sometimes several times a day. I thought it was a believable space hazard, that again was crucial to the drama.

Scientific accuracy is important in this sort of film, but not to the point where nothing dramatic ever happens.
Well I want a bit more, that's why I wrote the post.

Even having a spare that then failed, or a micrometeorite that killed a big area, just something a bit more than one fried board.

The flare I didn't mind as much

For space stuff I have higher expectations, especially in a fairly slow burn film.

Still enjoyed it as I like space stuff, but can be critical at the same time.

The Martian was pretty good but the basic premise was also faulty, I could get past that though as the whole story was very good.

gfreek

It's unbelievable Netflix have invested billions on original movies in the last 18 months yet they are all garbage or average at best!!

And they have the cheek to increase their subscription, pathetic!

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Well I want a bit more, that's why I wrote the post.

Even having a spare that then failed, or a micrometeorite that killed a big area, just something a bit more than one fried board.

The flare I didn't mind as much

For space stuff I have higher expectations, especially in a fairly slow burn film.

Still enjoyed it as I like space stuff, but can be critical at the same time.

The Martian was pretty good but the basic premise was also faulty, I could get past that though as the whole story was very good.

All it takes is one unforseen mechanical fault to scupper a mission. Not always as simple as just having a spare. It was nearly the case with Apollo 13 mission. I get what you're saying but I think its good when films at least try to achieve a level of realism. We shouldn't wind our suspension of disbelief up so tight that we cant cope with the slightest logical tweak.

Belzok

All it takes is one unforseen mechanical fault to scupper a mission. Not always as simple as just having a spare. It was nearly the case with Apollo 13 mission. I get what you're saying but I think its good when films at least try to achieve a level of realism. We shouldn't wind our suspension of disbelief up so tight that we cant cope with the slightest logical tweak.
I enjoyed it despite the annoyance, just could have been done a little better with very little changed.

I can suspend disbelief, I love Michael Bay films 😁

VGzilla

This is essentially the plot of the SF short The Cold Equations. A great story, but a predicament that I'd rather not revisit. Sort of like Sophie's Choice. And if the writers find a way to avoid the original conclusion I will feel they cheated the inciting incident, but if it does end with a Popsicle person it will seem like a pointless lecture proving 3 + 1 cannot equal 3.

Last edited:

meagabyte

Like others have pointed out:
The failure of one board puts the whole missions at risk with no spare? Surely this one board that can and will destroy a 2 year space missions should have several redundancies. The chap fell out of that panel yet didn't know how to fix anything in it? so why was he in that section? The lack of a single spare component ruined the rest of the movie for me.

More of a 5/6 as at the end i was left thinking "what did i just watch"
The acting wasnt to bad though.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
This is essentially the plot of the SF short The Cold Equations. A great story, but a predicament that I'd rather not revisit. Sort of like Sophie's Choice. And if the writers find a way to avoid the original conclusion I will feel they cheated the inciting incident, but if it does end with a Popsicle person it will seem like a pointless lecture proving 3 + 1 cannot equal 3.
You're absolutely spot on about The Cold Equations.

There's some interesting history behind that short story, namely that John W. Campbell allegedly forced the ending on Godwin against his wishes. Without the bleak changes, Campbell wasn't prepared to publish it in Astonishing

Campbell was a bit of a tyrant during his tenure by all accounts but it's hard to know how to take this as he ended up giving us some of the most enduring SF short stories because of it, The Cold Equations included.

But the story was never about the maths lecture. It was about absolute pragmatics bumping up against absolute morality. That's why it comes back so frequently.

meagabyte

Yes, this space disaster film would be so much better if they'd been able to fix the ship immediately.

Amazing how many people think space travel is a piece of p***.
I dont think anyone assumes space travel is easy. what we are assuming is that if a single item can break / ruin the mission then surely you would have a spare?
Maybe the problem is the sheer volume of really good space movies / series that depict spare parts we come to assume that its a given standard.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Yes, this space disaster film would be so much better if they'd been able to fix the ship immediately.

Amazing how many people think space travel is a piece of p***.
It's funny. It reminds me of when the Danny Boyle/Alex Garland movie Sunshine came out.

Prof Brian Cox famously consulted for the film on some of the theoretical science involved and then when it received criticism for some of that stuff he came out and openly said "yeah, I gave some notes on the science but...it is a movie."

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
It's funny. It reminds me of when the Danny Boyle/Alex Garland movie Sunshine came out.

Prof Brian Cox famously consulted for the film on some of the theoretical science involved and then when it received criticism for some of that stuff he came out and openly said "yeah, I gave some notes on the science but...it is a movie."

Wait, WHAT? Sunshine isn't REAL?

Damn, that's gone straight down to a 5 in my books. Bad Science.

VGzilla

You're absolutely spot on about The Cold Equations.

There's some interesting history behind that short story, namely that John W. Campbell allegedly forced the ending on Godwin against his wishes. Without the bleak changes, Campbell wasn't prepared to publish it in Astonishing

Campbell was a bit of a tyrant during his tenure by all accounts but it's hard to know how to take this as he ended up giving us some of the most enduring SF short stories because of it, The Cold Equations included.

But the story was never about the maths lecture. It was about absolute pragmatics bumping up against absolute morality. That's why it comes back so frequently.
Yes, that is surprising as the story works as if the ending was planned from the beginning. Of course, Godwin could have gone back and tweaked sections to fit after Campbell imposed the ending.

Yes, "absolute pragmatics bumping up against absolute morality" perfectly describes The Cold Equations, but I suspect Stowaway's conclusion will feel either dishonest or academic. I will give it a chance tonight.

bandyka

I really liked this one. I went in with no expectation at all and came away with very enjoyable 2 evening hours. I figured this is how I watch movies these days, no expectation=no disappointment. This was better than the sum of its parts IMO.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Wait, WHAT? Sunshine isn't REAL?

Damn, that's gone straight down to a 5 in my books. Bad Science.
I absolutely LOVE Sunshine, & I am going to immediately write & post a Wikipedia page that says it actually happened. Then all the Deniers can eat my shadow.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
I absolutely LOVE Sunshine, & I am going to immediately write & post a Wikipedia page that says it actually happened. Then all the Deniers can eat my shadow.
Enjoying the digression from relevance for a second, I also love Sunshine. I'd say it's hugely underrated but I think the truth is it's just for a certain type of person... The type of person who likes to slam hard SF into slasher movies.

Paul7777x

I love space films.

Despite their often monstrously cavalier attitude to genuine physics.

This shall be my Saturday night treat.

domtheone

Distinguished Member

Setting aside the whole sun dying/needs kick starting thing, I seem to recall his commentary suggested that they tried to keep most other things fairly accurate ish. Brilliant commentary too.

Watched this over 2 nights. Last 45 this evening but I was very tired and wavering a bit. In the end I’m not sure why she went
out for the space climb for a second time
:confused::blush:

VGzilla

We watched this and almost immediately were so irritated we missed all the logic and explanation for what was going on. And while I like Anna Kendrick, she is much better at bedroom-naughty than astro-nauty.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021