Storm V - A short impression

russraff

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I was in the wonderful city of Edinburgh over the weekend and stumbled across Sevenoaks Hifi. I am in an extended process of deciding what sub to buy (which has been delayed somewhat due to a lack of a full time job) and thought that these fine folks would have some ideas.

I mentioned that I used to have a Storm III and, though it was good, tended to distort when pushed, or if delivering low frequencies. The guy in the shop (whoever he was) said that the new Storm V is am improvement, even though the box is smaller and is a sealed enclosure. "Yeah, right. Anything you say, mate!" was my thoughts as I walked into a larger than average dem room. The Storm V looked tiny, comfortably smaller than the Storm III and not much bigger than a B&W 675. In other words, there is no way that a sub of that size could fill that dem room with low bass without either a) distorting or b) not going deep enough. This was going to be another overpriced REL disaster like the Q150/200

I was very, very, wrong.

The Storm V was everything that I hoped a sub can be: Low bass, absolutely no overhang, superbly made, tight and, most importantly, distortion free. I listened to the bit in The Incredibles where the young boy is running away from the bad guys on floating discs, eventually running across a lake. The old Storm III was never a bad sub, and will be just as articulate as the Storm V, but only further up the frequency response or at lower spl’s. The new Storm V seems to be so much effective beyond what you would expect from a small box and is a marked improvement over it’s predecessor. For me, the smart, small box with immense power and fast musical delivery (I also listened to a DVD-Audio) is a nigh on perfect mix. Clearly a more extended listen is in order, but first impressions are very good.

I wonder is the Strata V is as big an improvement as the Storm V is?

Russell

russraff said:
The guy in the shop (whoever he was) said that the new Storm V is am improvement, even though the box is smaller and is a sealed enclosure.

That guy was me. I'm glad you enjoyed the demo and that I managed to surprise you. If you make a decision on the sub then let me know, I can ship it down to you if necessary.

Interesting review Russell. It's good to be able to recommend something British.

Well, it's that, but it is also refreshing to see the hype as confirmed. With the Q150 and Q200, the reviews in popular press were all positive, despite the fact those subs were seriously flawed. Clearly, and after hearing the underpowered Stampede, hopes were low for the Storm V. In fact I was determined to listen to other brands, and not REL. Crustyloafer was bombarded with "what about B&W or M&K or MJ Acoustics?" in the end, the demo was a confirmation, albeit a short one, that the Storm V is a contender, especially for the musically inclined. I can't get over the size of the thing, either - it's not tiny, but comfortably within the "hide it away in the house" size.
Oh, and the finish of the Storm V was superb, the front controller much better built than it looks, and easily a match for the finish and quality of my Ruarks.

Russell

Seriously, this sub will not disappoint you. i've had mine since christmas, and havent had any problems with it. Its deep, and quick, and its never distorted. Even at levels where the cups & plates in the kitchen cupboards rattle ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom