1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storm III dual connection?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by liamjf, Jan 3, 2005.

1. liamjf

liamjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am having a problem setting up my Storm III. Initially it was connected via the low level lead to the sub out on my processor (AV32R) and adjusted from there. This sounded great with movies but not so good with CDs (using direct + SUB) option on processor. So connected via high level lead to main L+R amp (Primare 30.1) and adjusted x-over and gain. The problem began when both connections were made simultaneously. Connected this way (with processor set to direct mode only, no sub) the LOW LEVEL gain knob effects the gain of the sub and makes it way too loud! :mad: I thought the processor might be outputing even when set to off but disconnecting the high level lead makes it impossible to get any sound out of the sub with either gain control (as it should be with processor set to direct). Have I done something stupid or is it not possible to have both inputs connected? With either connection on its own it all works as expected. Help! :suicide:

Liam.

2. Saxon

Saxon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a Storm III and the sub is designed to be connected by both high and low level inputs with different gain seetings for each. I have the low level lead driven from the sub out on my Yamaha AVX 750 processor and the high level neutrik connector driven off the speaker terminals on my Naim NAP250 power amp. The Naim provides the front 2 channels of amplification for both music and movies.

I can't understand what is going on with the specifics of your set-up but given there is no low level connection between your Primare and the REL I can't see why the low level gain should do anything providing the other amps in your system have the volume turned down - maybe talk to your dealer??

Best of luck,

Saxon (PS you shouldn't need to tell the processor there is no sub everytime you pay music - just turn the AV amps down)