Storing Video On PS3 HDD

AvengingAngel67

Ex Member
Reaction score
I seem unable to store videos on the HDD. Why can you not "Import" DVDs, which were created on a Sony DVD recorder, the same way you can "Import" CDs onto the HDD?

Like I have stated, these are not copyrighted DVDs, but disks that were created on a RDR-HXD970.:confused:

not sure what your encoding them with? could the program be creating it's own protection?

oops ignore I'm not sure but if you finalise the disc so it will play in normal DVD players i think the Ps3 thinks its a normal DVD not 100% though, if you have rewritable maybe try disabling the finalise?

Last edited:
So AXUM, you're saying I have to convert a DVD-R Video disc into a data disk via a computer, and the PS3 will then "Import" the information onto it's HDD, under the "Video" icon on the XMB?:confused:

I seem unable to store videos on the HDD. Why can you not "Import" DVDs, which were created on a Sony DVD recorder, the same way you can "Import" CDs onto the HDD?

Like I have stated, these are not copyrighted DVDs, but disks that were created on a RDR-HXD970.:confused:

If it's written as a DVD (with VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders) then no you cannot copy it on the PS3. If the files are .mpeg/.mpg/avi/<countless other variants) then there is no reason as to why not.
Saying that, not all formats work so check here:
PS3&#8482; | Types of files that can be played

Good luck :smashin:

You can still have a data disc with those folders in it though ;)

Yes, if you rip the DVD you have, take the .vob files and put them on another DVD but burnt as a data disc, you should theoretically be able to copy them off the disc.

It's nothing to do with the file types (as eluded to above), which prevents them being copied off, it's the way the DVD has been burnt. The file types may not be playable on the PS3, but that's unlikely as they'll probably be .vob files.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom