Storing DVDR/RW's

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SDHoward, Dec 6, 2004.

1. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok from what I can gather they're fragile and don't like Viny, so what good, portable storage solutions are there (that don't ake up too much space and arn't too expensive).

tia
    steve

2. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Viny? (am I being thick)

I was concerned how much damage the daylight might be doing to the DVDs I was working on because I had a habit of leaving them lying around near the TV/DVD recorder (in their jewel cases). So I looked around for a storage solution. My immediate requirement was something lightproof that would hold DVD-RAMs in their jewel cases.

I found some small flight cases for CDs in our local Cash Convertors or Cash Exchange or whatever it calls itself (a sort of pawn broker that also sells things). I bought one and it's ideal for keeping a working stock near the TV. It holds about 40 DVDs in slim jewel cases, it's rugged, it's lined inside with a neoprene like material, and it's completely lightproof.

I also bought a much larger flight case at a computer fair recently, sold as a DJ's case. It has over 400 hanging pockets in three rows, with numbers for indexing. Possibly a bit OTT but it should keep me going for a while. I thought it would be ideal for storing DVD-Rs sold on spindles. It is quite big, but nothing like as big as the space occupied by 400 plus VHS tapes.

It seems silly to me that blank DVD-Rs, DVD-RAMs, etc are supplied in transparent jewel cases if the dyes can be damaged by light. Hasn't anybody invented a black jewel case? The only black cases I know of are the elongated ones that commercial DVDs are supplied in. But they take up extra space and they seem to be designed to damage DVDs - if a DVD becomes loose it can slide up and down inside, scratching its surface against the hub.

3. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent advice from maldonian - Many people are not aware that simple daylight will gradually destroy their DVD recordings. Keep them cool in a dry, dark place!

4. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks

oops sorry Vinyl. Contact with its not soposed to be good, also I spose sliding it in and out of thise sleeves..

5. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it is also not a good idea to store DVD discs in sleeves/pockets either, as the recording surface comes in contact with them. Also, sliding them in and out of the sleeves can scratch the discs.

6. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    That's my one concern about the DJ box. Perhaps I shouldn't have said 'ideal'. But I only intend to store recordings I don't mind losing, plus working copies, on the spindle DVD-Rs. So if a few get scratched eventually I won't mind too much. I will store anything that matters on DVD-Rs and/or DVD-RAMs in jewel cases, and anything that matters a lot on DVD-RAMs in cartridges (and all stored in lightproof boxes). Panasonic cartridges are a translucent amber colour - perhaps this filters out the light that does the damage.