1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storing Digital Photgraphs Whilst Travelling?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by benpickford, Jan 12, 2004.

1. benpickford

benpickford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can any one give me some advice about storing digital photos? I have recently bought a digital camera and am going travelling. I was wandering if there is a piece of equipment that can store many digital photographs on it, kind of like a hard disk until I get back from travelling and then be able to access them all. I have two 256 compact flash cards but envisage taking many photos, so if there was a relatively small piece of equipment that I could put my compact flash cards into and download them onto it that would be great. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Your best bet is just keeping them on seperate flash cards. It's wise not to put all your eggs in one baskets when on the move. A malfunction, damage, or loss could mean you lose everything.

3. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Depending on where you are are going you could get your images burnt onto CD when your cards are full. I did this when I was in Australia - only cost a few quid to do. But if you are off somewhere remote there might not be the facilities.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    There are digital jukeboxes and PDA's that take Compact Flash cards, but these will cost several hundreds of pounds. It will be much cheaper to just buy several more cards with 128Mb cards available for around £30-£40.

Mark.

5. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  6. MatC

MatC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about this

You'll need a 2.5" (laptop) hard drive, but small ones are cheap enough...

7. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    I have used the XS-Drive in the past and found it to be very reliable (over 1000 shots saved on it and not one loss or corrupted image) and dead simple to use, just put your card in and press the button.

Cost wise its one of the cheapest portable units around, if not the cheapest at £189 for the USB 1.1 version with 20GB hard drive or £199 for the USB 2 version with 20GB hard drive.

You can find more about it here XS-Drive

HTH

8. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    i second the xdrive. i just came back from a month in africa and it not only survived backpacking but it was invaluable.

my strategy was, as pointed out above, to not put all my eggs in one basket. i kept the critical images on my microdrives as well as the x drive so i had 2 copies. (i have the benefit of 2 1gb microdrives though which helps!).

Chris