• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Stores in Essex that have displays of both the PZ80 and PX80?

2stepsteve

Hi all,

I'm having such a hard time tracking down shops that have both of these on display. I've tried alot of places and all only have on of them out on display, i'd really like to go somewhere and compare these two sets side by side with a HD source and SD and make a discison based on that.

I've tried hispek, RGB direct, Empire direct, comet, hyperfi..

Any places you have seen in the Essex area? Many thanks

Lin3ar

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

I'm having such a hard time tracking down shops that have both of these on display. I've tried alot of places and all only have on of them out on display, i'd really like to go somewhere and compare these two sets side by side with a HD source and SD and make a discison based on that.

I've tried hispek, RGB direct, Empire direct, comet, hyperfi..

Any places you have seen in the Essex area? Many thanks

I don't know if you have a John Lewis in your area but they are the best for viewing the different Panasonics that I know of.

Lin3ar

Distinguished Member
If it helps, I was in John Lewis in Liverpool yesterday and they had the 42PX80 running side by side with the PZ85.There was quite a difference between the two (the PZ85 looked far sharper)
I asked the salesman if the feed was identical on each and he confirmed that it was.
There must be something in this 1080p malarky I thought.I had a quick check behind the panels just to confirm what the salesman said and low and behold, the PX80 was running on SCART whilst the PZ85 was component:rolleyes:

Actually, come to think about it, this doesn't help at all really:rolleyes:

2stepsteve

:D good old sales people! I'd love to walk into a place that has both these sets on display both connected to the same HD source via HDMI and the same SD source via scart, get given the remote and left alone to play with the settings..

Two things I wanna judge:

SD quality on the PZ80 (or PZ85) full HD panel

HD quality on the lower res PX80 HD ready panel

pcookie

Well I've looked at both sets side by side at John Lewis, Bentalls and The Panasonic shop in Kingston, and standing back 8-10 feet I found that:
In JL on SD the PX80 was better. Both sets looked identical colourwise, but the PZ80 was softer.
In the Panasonic shop on SD the PZ looked noticeably worse (clay faces, motion artifacts).
In Bentalls on HD the PZ80 (and 85) looked a bit better than the PX80.

If it was my money, and I was looking at the sets more than 8 feet away, I'd buy the PX80.
That said, the PZ85 looks a much nicer set in the flesh than the other 2 models.

cookie

spaceman763

Thanks for that pcookie, I am leaning towards the PX80 hope to see both these in a couple of days tho and finally make a purchase

Could you kindly report back on which one you went for? I am also considering which one to go for but have'nt had a chance to go out and play with some display sets yet.

Regards

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom