1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Store Demonstrations

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Roger G Cam, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yesterday I wandered into Currys. They appeared to be running a demonstration video on HD. A bit dull. A pretty girl in a series of brightly coloured dresses flouncing around and some close ups of flowers.

If I understand it correctly:

- There is no HD DVD available - its all this 50GB DVD's nonsence I read about and don't understand and I haven't seen any players in the shops so....

- There isn't a live feed available from Sky or the BBC - although there might be something from Europe.

- There are downloads available on the net so they could link up a screen to a PC - but the size of the download would have to be pretty big for just 10 minute promo - an how many of these shops are actually broadband connected?

Currys, Dixons and Comet won't be all that tuned in - we have all listened in to Sales staff - so many demonstrations will probably be DVD's.

Any suggestions on what searching questions we need to put to the sales staff when they start running these demo's?

Strangely the demo I saw ws on 3 screens. 1 definite Plasma - possibly 2 LCD's. They were all better than SD but one was better than the other two. Anyone want to suggest why one screen would be noticeably better than another? Apart from obvious comments on getting what you pay for?

Roger

2. Venom1924

Venom1924
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are most likely running HD content from a pc. When i went to comet the other day they had a pc hooked up to 6 tvs. About the TVs looking different tbh the staff at those stores just plug them in, all the settings for colour, sharpness etc will be on manufacturers default settings.

3. bbdivo

bbdivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I was at Dixons yesterday and they had a 60" LG running Hidef content, had a quick peak round the back, and there was a little PC, one of those shuttle jobbies, it had an LG printed sticker on it, no external drives whatsoever, it was connected Via component, interesting cause I don't know of that many video cards that output component (except for the 7800 GTX in my PC)

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    My GF6600 GT has component out (via multiformat socket), very useful for connecting to my LCD TV.
    I would say it would become widespread but HDMI may become the norm of the next generation of cards from Nvidia and ATI thanks to HDCP.

5. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Currys should have pretty girls flouncing around....dont know if it would boost sales but it would make the trip worth while lol

6. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Quite alot of cards have supported component out for a while now using a special socket+dongle or a breakout box. I know on my X800XL I can set HD resolutions in the catalyst control panel and use one of the DVI ports but it'll take some fiddling to get it all peachy, I know nVidia have also been adding HDTV support in their recent drivers for some of their other model cards.

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I went into Curry's last week, and they had a HD plasma showing some motor racing clips. The TV was just inside the entrance, and I nearly walked straight past - in fact I had to read the blurb to make sure that it was indeed HD, because I wasn't "blown away" by it at all. If Curry's want to make HD look really impressive, they want screens larger than 42", and they want to place them in the store where people can see them from the best vantage. When colour TV came in, people were crowding around the sets to watch, by comparison HD is just a whimper.

8. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The thing with HD is the majority of people will just look at it and say something like "ooh thats a nice picture" (like my parents do) and dont understand what high definition is, most of the time they wont bother asking either, we already have colours TV's and flatscreens have been around for a fair bit of time now so in terms of technology its nothing striking. High Definition isn't being advertisied/marketted as best as it could be in my opinion, its a shame too, as thats probably whats stopping it from catching on over here, the more its advertised the more attention it would get.

Its quite upsetting :(

9. Jakeh1969

Jakeh1969

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    What the manufacturers need to do is supply the same scene, filmed in both HD and SD and for the retailers to display the two versions side by side with suitable point of sale material.

That way they might sell more HD (=expensive) sets.

:lesson:

I've got to say that the LG demos in Currys with different sized plasma and lcd screens displayed together does grab my attention every time I wander round the tv section. However, I can see why some people would say nice picture and walk away.