Store comparisons

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Turk, Dec 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Turk

Turk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    So I've been to Curry's and Richer sounds today. I had myself set on the 55xe90 as recommended by literally everyone, everywhere (except the Samsung heavy store salesmen). Anyway, I had a look at the Q6 and Q7 and I have to say they're here good looking TV's. Obviously, store environment, sdr content etc but it made the Sony look oversaturated and lacking black detail. Basically, the black was too dark to see detail and the colours too bright to look real (i.e. glowing faces)

What I'd like to know, is this likely to be the way the TV's are set up, just my vision or does this sound about right?

Either way I'm going back on Thursday evening for a demo so I'll have a better look then but just wondered others thought.

2. SLS72

SLS72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Never draw conclusions from looking at TV's on the shop floor. It is completely the wrong environment to evaluate PQ and you have no idea or control over the settings at all plus the demos these TVs are usually playing are useless. The XE90 is recommended because it is the better TV than the Samsungs, no doubt about that.

3. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,366
    You'll need to get yourself somewhere with a demo room to make fair comparisons. You can then see how the TV will look in normal conditions with control over the remote control to take it out of its vivid/bright picture modes and into movie mode.

You also get the opportunity with the remote control to play with different motion enhancements this way too.

Most independent AV stores have demo rooms and you can call them to make an appointment for a demonstration.

Its a good idea to narrow down your choice to 1 or 2 models first. Given the TVs you have been looking at I would look no further than the Sony XE9005.

4. Turk

Turk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I'm almost certain I'll end up with the Sony, but I was pleasantly surprised at the picture on the Samsungs.

Asked to book a demo at Richer sounds today (which has a demo room). Was told that they can't demo TV's in the demo room as they'd have to open a box. They only demo what's on display. When I asked for demo of the 2 49's they had on display instead of the 55 I was told they could do that, but only in the showroom. They will dim the lights though. :facepalm::D

5. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,366
    That sounds poor to be honest. From their website:
    Is @Richer Sounds around to help?

6. Turk

Turk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I can understand it to a point, open box stock etc, but the guy said it's only really for components, not TV's. Well, fair enough I guess but that's not how it's advertised on the website.

7. Richer Sounds

Richer Sounds
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +499
    Hi,

I'm sorry to read of the problems you had obtaining a suitable demonstration.

Could you drop me a PM with some more details so I can investigate and help resolve the matter?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Many Thanks

John Clayton
    Operations Director
    Richer Sounds

8. Turk

Turk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    PM sent. :thumbsup: