1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Solutions ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Matt Horne, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Currently I am running a bog standard laptop which only has a 10GB drive.

So in order to start archiving my movies/mp3's etc I am looking at better storage solutions. I also already have a wireless router which I could add a solution to.

Not sure which way to go.. I do not wish to spend a fortune..but I would like a solution which would give me a redundant backup.. as losing all the data would be a royal pain.

Seems there are a few options :

Mediabank HS-R which would allow a fastwire connection with 2 discs and RAID built in (instant copy) but its £350 for the case + cost of the relevant Hardiscs

Linksys EGR80 - NAS solution with included 80GB drive, plug straight into my network.. backup solution possible with second drive.. can be replaced with 2 x 120 GB drives in the future. Again not a cheap solution looking at £370 for the kit with drive.

Lastly would be a simple external fastwire drive.. currently looking at the Western Digital 120GB/250GB light updrives which can be bought for between £170-£230.. for a backup solution I would have to buy an extras one at a later date and then use some backup software to keep them in sync.

Only issue with the firewire solution is that it locks my PC to the desk (I have a wireless card for it). And initially for Backups I do have a 20GB external drive which archive the important stuff.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments about this.. have I missed anything.. any better ideas.. Not really looked into this before....

Thanks

Matt

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IMHO, if you're solely interested in backing up your main/only PC then a network/NAS device is an overly complex solution ... Windows networking can be a royal PITA at times, I have situations where with two XP machines one won't let the other access its' drives yet they're both configured ostensibly the same .. tried 3 times, never solved it so I got Win2K but that's another issue, and I'm far from a networking n00b. :)

IMX a Firewire or USB 2 external disk would be my chosen solution in your circumstance, only consider NAS if you have more than one PC wanting to backup/share. I see no merit in a RAID solution here .. yes, it's sexy, willy-waving technology but this is a backup device and IMHO RAID is less useful in this context than two separately-controlled devices it you feel the need for multiple backup copies .. I'll explain my logic if you ask. :)

3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    yes please :)

I just want a storage solution to keep all my music as I want to get a squeezebox (or some similiair device) to pipe music to my hifi.. but once the data gets to a certain size then I would like the ability to have a second drive used purely for backup/drive failure purposes...

Thanks

Matt

4. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    One other thing.. the main reason why I mentioned NAS was if I use a firewire solution.. I could not for example.. surf the web in the lounge on the laptop whilst listening to music on the squeezbox (unless I had moved the music back from the firewire drive to the laptop)

Thanks

Matt

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay, you've now added another machine into the equation from what you initially described :) .. that would seem to make a WiFi-based NAS a sensible solution, I have one serving my HTPC and main production/development/games ( :blush: ) PC.

I settled for a 'g' variant using NetGear cards, 54Mb which means in practice about 20Mb, fine for backups, DVD serving etc.

Reason why RAID isn't good IMHO for backups: RAID 1 or RAID 5 provides redundancy, which means it'll faithfully reproduce a file or file-system corruption caused by software failure. ;)

I prefer to run separate archival copies, using doubled-up backups. It takes twice as long but it means I take two copies of my critical files from the same original. Yes, if the original is corrupt when I back it up then I get two corrupt copies ... so I backup once and then 12 hours later that backup gets replicated. If my originals are bad then I'll notice that within a shortish period of time.

From time to time I offload backups to DVD .. mainly out of paranoia. :D

6. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Ok.. just to clarify on my current situation :)

1 xp laptop with wireless G card
    1 NT laptop (work) used purely to dial in to work :(
    Xbox with Wireless G gaming adaptor
    Linksys wireless G Router

So I either use the laptop in the study. in which case having a firewire drive would be fine.. but I do tend to use it in other parts of the house as well..

The storage would be for my Laptop (10GB) + my MP3's and other odds and ends. I already have a 20GB pocketdrive which I could use for backing up data I cannot recover easily.

So any suggestions on a low cost solution? (or good startup solution)

Thanks

Matt