Stopping static on vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by x5tjf, May 27, 2005.

1. x5tjf

x5tjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

My turntable packed in about 15 years ago at which point, like many others, I focussed on CDs. I have about 100 LPs and another load of 45s so I recently decided to buy a new turntable to listen to these and maybe try moving some of them to CD-R.

I got everything set up last weekend and listened to a couple of albums, but I had forgotten about the way that static just acts as a dust magnet for vinyl. The turntable documents warn against using any sort of anti-static device or dust cleaner that rests on the disc while it is playing.

Can any other vinyl users suggest the best way (products) of cleaning vinyl discs and getting rid of the static? :lease:

Many thanks.

Terry

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Hi ...I've recently resurrected my turntable and vinyl collection as well.....you may find the Zerostat useful,and also the Goldring record brush is reasonably effective at removing dust.

The 2 together should work well.

http://www.britishaudio.co.uk/zerostat.htm

Obviously beware of most fluid based products,and if you have a valuable collection,something like the Moth Record Cleaner may be worth looking at...expensive,but the best customer based cleaning system available.

http://www.britishaudio.co.uk/mothrcm.htm